PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Boating Information

boatboy50
12-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey Guys,
Heres a link to a very helpful and informative website for Aussie boaties and fisherman.
www.seamedia.com.au
Theres info there about boat tests and fishing stories as well as travel destinations and engine reports.
What do you guys think of it?
Thought it may be a help to some people.
Regards
Darren

ba229
12-02-2005, 06:22 PM
www.seamedia.com.au

reScuE_RanGEr
13-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Dont tell me they have finally got it up and runniing!! ;D

devocean
13-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Looks awesome

drevil
16-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Is it just me or do you have to pay for all the articles? Maybe I'm cheap, but I don't think I will be spending too much time on this site.

Hooker1
16-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Just another pay per view website!

billfisher
17-02-2005, 04:37 AM
You don't have to pay for all the articles, they have quite a few free ones. I just downloaded a free article on the 4.1m Polycraft I was thinking of buying. Also if I was thinking of spending thousands on a new boat I wouldn't mind spending $5 for a review. The magazine issue would cost more than that anyway.

boatboy50
17-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Guys,

Very good call Billfisher. I agree 100%

If you cant be bothered spending $5 on an article when buying a boat, then you deserve to get the lemon.

The only way that things are free these days is if they are paid for by advertisers. And when thats the case it ends up not being a truthful or subjective opinion, something which doesnt work for anyone except the advertiser.

The way the world is today, with the nothing in life is free philosophy, and the fact that it is almost impossible to get a pre purchase test drive of all new boats, articles like these are invaluable.

Its time we looked at the way the world works, and stopped living in the old days when........

Regards

Darren

drevil
18-02-2005, 04:26 AM
So this site is only for people about to buy a new boat? I don't think so.

Sure there are boat tests on this site, but having replaced my rig late last year, I am not in the market for a new boat, but I love to read about boats and all things boating. So why should I pay $5 an article? Just as well publishers don't charge that way otherwise we would be paying $100 a magazine!

I also didn't have a problem getting a test drive before we bought. Maybe there are lots of tyre kickers out there wanting to drive everything, so dealers qualify real buyers better these days, which I don't have a problem with.

I just think that to pay $5 for virtually any article on this site when there is a wealth of good info available on the web or in the general boating community is a bit much. And just because you pay for the article, it doesn't mean that the writer is not influenced by any boat manufacturer or product supplier.

My own personal opinion, but this site just doesn't do it for me.

(P.S. Also Darren, I don't consider myself to be that old. )

piscator
18-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Obviously not subscribers to or fans of the F&B mag then boys???? [smiley=evilgrin.gif].

On the point of being influenced by manufacturers and the industry these guys at F&B cannot be touched - JMO though.

On the $5.00 issue all I can say is that if you wanted the back issue containing the info you would pay more, wait longer, have no means of previewing it and at least this way its there for anyone always rather than one day just disappearing when the stock does. The great shame was that due to some sort of mishap all the issues havent been reproduced for prosperity.

I really cant fathom why people expect stuff like this to be free when the cost of providing the delivery mechanism in the first place isnt.

BTW - not connected with F&B in anyway, dont subscribe but enjoy the mag when I do buy it even though it costs me $7.50. [smiley=jester.gif]

Cheers

SeaSaw
18-02-2005, 06:27 PM
I just wish they would put up an index of the Magazine Number that each report was originally published in. I have already paid for all these articles by buying the magazine each month, but it takes ages to go back through them to find an article when you are looking for something specific.

Mark

drevil
19-02-2005, 05:19 AM
Hi Piscator - I don't have a problem at all buying magazines, and I do it quite often. #I just think buying what in many cases is a standard article about a topic of interest is a bit much. #

But it is the old thing of supply & demand - I might be in the absolute minority and they will sell heaps of articles and make lots of money, and good luck to them. #

There are other sites that combine free content and pay-for and I don't have a problem with that either. #

I just get a bit cynical when virtually any piece of info they have has $$$ attached to it.

boatboy50
19-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I just thought the website may be useful to a lot of people on this site, as this is where a lot of beginners come looking for information. My original post came in handy for Billfisher, so it was definately worth posting.

I know this site is not only for new boatowners (probably a lot more second handies actually). The website has a lot of boats, some which have not been made for over ten years (5.2 Kevlacat, Signature 530F ect ect).

If you have a good look at the site, you will find at least ten or so articles for free download. I cant see the problem.

Seasaw, I have the list you are talking about. Email me at boatboy50@hotmail.com and I will send it to you. Its update to about three months ago.

Regards

Darren

Magneto
19-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Iam with you Drevil, but thanks Boatboy for the chance to have a look.
Cheers Mag. :-/ :-/

PG
20-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Does it all come down to companies trying to sell THEIR product asking that consumers pay for that info? I would have thought if you want someone to buy your product, you would be paying for the advertising whether it goes solely into a magazine or on the net as well.
I know a lot of people search for information on products online as I have done, but surely it's just taking the place of magazine articles or TV ads and therefore should be added to the costs of advertsing to the supply company.
Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.