PDA

View Full Version : half cabin or ally centre console??

sax
23-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Thinking of buying a second-hand fishing boat? (can't afford a new one!) Don't know whether to get a half cabin (fibreglass)or centre console (aluminium)? Any suggestions?

dfox
23-02-2005, 01:08 PM
You'll have to give more info sax? like what will you mainly use the boat for,bay and creeks, offshore? how many aboard most trips,what size boat,price range etc...foxy

sax
23-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi Foxy, I would be using it offshore in the bay mostly.Taking 2 or 3 people at any time.Price 20k to 25k and the bigger the better but you don't seem to get much for this price range Foxy.

dfox
23-02-2005, 05:30 PM
For in the bay mate, for all out fishing a centre console is the more versitile fishing rig. You can cast at feeding schools of fish, theres more fishing room, its easier to fight a circling fish.They also require less horsepower, can be knocked around a lot more and mistreated. The down sides are your more exposed to the elements, most tinnies ride fairly hard in bay chop, where as a fibreglass half cab has some creature comforts, generally ride a bit better (remember we're just generalizing here) are more suited to overnighting. Not as spacious for given length.
Shop around mate, dont buy on impulse, beware of rebuilt engines, split and rewelded aluminium hulls, dry rot, research the boats your interested in and get an idea of there market value, post them on here for coments if your not sure, and lastly welcome to ausfish and hope to see you on the water soon ;) ;)...foxy

bignick
23-02-2005, 05:32 PM
The aluminium centre console is probably the most functional boat around. However, as with most boats, there are compromises to be considered. Firstly, with the tinny, you ARE going to get wet and the ride will be nowhere near as comfortable as it would be in a fibreglass half cabin. 9 times out of 10 your body is going to cop a pounding in any sort of sea and you'll get sunburnt. But, on the other hand, there is far less maintenance with a tin boat and you don't have to be as careful with them as you do with a glass boat. Normally a tin boat won't need as much horsepower to push it nor as big a vehicle to tow it, thereby reducing running costs. If it were me, I'd lean towards the half cabin fibreglass boat because of the far superior ride they give and, at the end of the day, you don't feel as tired or sore as you do after a big day in a tinny. I've had both and I don't think I could go back to a tin boat.

Cheers,
NICK.

basserman
23-02-2005, 05:34 PM
are you going to take faimly or kids out or just yourself and a few very keen fishing mates ???
cuddly/half cab are great for familys and stuff but you loes some fishing space and the ablity to walk around
while a center console is great for fishing but you lose out on the comfort and it can be a bit wet ;)
but as for tin versu glass well in my opinon glass is the better but weighs more however you can get some great tin boats but try to find one that has been made nice and strong and hasn't had the bejusus belted out of it as some of the tin boats do have a probem of stress fratcures
either way for the money your talking you should be able to get a great boat
i for one brought a 1997 sf17 southwind with full electronics frount and side clrears outrigger and rocket launchers with a 115 2st on the back for $18500 so you can get some very good buys if you know what you want and what your looking at ;D

cooky
23-02-2005, 06:10 PM
There are times I'd like a centre console for fishing, but I am really happy with my choice of glass Cuddy cabin. Still has more room in the back than a Half Cabin, but enough to sleep if needed. I wouldn't mind a 26ft centre console in the future (lotto).
I've been for a few trips in the alloy CCs around the 5m range and got a bit sick of being wet and cold (winter) and getting hammered in chop. They are EXCELLENT fishing platforms, but not as good multi-tasking as a cabin.
Because you're going secondhand I don't think the maintenance of your glass boat or worry about it is going to be too bad as it's not going to be in perfect condition like a $60,000 cruise craft - you can get away with scrapes, bangs, marks, etc. If they're too bad - fix em yourself.

You're budget is $20-25 - i've seen a few good boats in this price range (hard to find good ones until you go to $30-35k, but if you look hard enough you'll be okay. I picked up my 5.4m Cuddy cabin - 2001 model with matching 115hp Merc (170hours) - with safety gear (inc epirb, radio), GPS, Sounder, etc for $22,000 about 5 months ago. Sure I've managed to spend about $1000 - $2000 on incidental bullsh*t since, but still not too bad and goes well. It sits out the front with a $180 cover over it and I don't really care as I feel that for that sort of money I shouldn't expect to keep it in perfect condition (what's the fun in that).

Anyway here's a photo.

Was talking to a bloke the other day who has just completely done up a Haines 19c hull (all stringers, etc) with a pro boat builder. He's got a 94 or 96 200hp on it and will be looking at low 20s when he sells soon.

James_V17L
23-02-2005, 06:15 PM
I totally agree with all the above posts..
Both boats have their pro's & cons..some dayz I wish I had a tinny..but more often than not I am so happy I got a glass boat.
For pure all out fishing the tinny looks good...for fishing & dayz on the water with the family the half cab gets the nod.
You can buy a Haines 1750L/1850L...Yalta Odessa..Yamaha sr17/sf17...Freedom 1750 etc etc for around $20k..My V17L owes me around $15K now & its a great boat.
Cheers,James

sax
23-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Guys,thanks for your thoughts greatly appreciated.Impulse is a problem Foxy because I'm keen as.Thanks again Sax.

sax
23-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Nice looking rig Cooky.If the bloke has any photo's put them on like to see them.Cheers Sax

cooky
23-02-2005, 06:36 PM
i've given him the web site and we;ll see.

sax
23-02-2005, 10:47 PM
How does a 17 foot Pacific Sportfish 1995 with 70 Yamaha with 100 hours sound guys.19k Plate Alloy Cheers Sax

cooky
24-02-2005, 04:47 AM
NOt that good if the motor is 95' too.

There again it might have $5000 of electronics included.

I was close to buying (at the time I bought the northbank) a 94' Pacific Sportsfish 5.8m Cuddy cabin plate alloy with a 115hp Johnson. It had a navman Chartplotter, Navman colour sounder, another sounder (lowrance I think). 160L Evacool esky, 200+ litre fuel (extra underfloor fuel tank installed), stainless prop, spare new alloy prop, tool kit, anchors, hydraulic steering, foil on motor, underfloor insultated kill tank (double as esky), dual batteries (new), canopy, removable rear seats, suspension seats front (KAB - they were excellent on test ride), carpeted.

This was at a boat dealer secondhand and was tired (cosmetically). Originally the guy was looking for around $30,000. I offered $20,000 and after a few weeks could have picked it up for $21,000.

Here's a photo. I feel this was a pretty good deal. I'm only showing you this so you know what you can get (or might be able to get for your money).

dnej
24-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Hey Sax,
My brother has a glass cuddy and I have an aluminium, cuddy cab.
Ride, far superior in the glass, you just cant go a comfortably fast in the aluminium boat.

At rest, my boat is superior, less weight, smaller motor, and definately more fishing space.

Repairs , and modifications are much much easier in aluminium.

I have done a lot of these, over time, to suit my needs.

Ramps can be a big problem to glass boats.You really need to be able to beach on sand, so concrete ramps need special care.
Glass boats do not weather well, and need to be kept under cover.
Glass, and aluminium boats will split, if treated badly.

You need two distinct types of trailers, for each type .So take care with that. This is important, roller colours, correct skids for aluminium etc.

As previously mentioned, watch for rot in the transom,and the floor, on glass boats. Ply is used to form the glass.

My opinion,aluminium outsells fibre glass , and I personally am prepared to put up with not getting there as fast,or comfortable, due to the ride. Aluminium is cheeper to run, in real terms.

Have a look at some plate boats, there are some great ones around. Be careful with some of the modern pressed hulls, with the wide flair, they dont seem to be handling the pressure,and have splitting problems, cant mention names.

Go alumium plate, in my opinion,

Cheers David

caloundra
24-02-2005, 07:58 AM
sax
if it is your first boat I would recommend alumium .a first boat is a big learning curve and may cop a bit of a hammering

Daniel

chemmy
24-02-2005, 01:36 PM
hi sax and welcome

if you want i can tost a pick of a good boat for sale or if want you could look on the trading post site which is www.tradingpost.comand have a look arownd any way if i had the money i would buy this rig that is going for $22 500

sax
24-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Chemmy, looks like a very nice boat indeed.I'm just going to take my time in buying one,a good one will pop up sooner or later.Cheers Sax.

sax
24-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Hi Cooky, looks like a really good deal for $21,000.Hope I find myself a good deal like that.Cheers Sax.

adriancorrea
24-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Cooky
What year model is that motor?
Looks abit on the old side, have had bad experiences with the older motors.
Good idea sax take your time and make sure, too late once the money exchanges hands lol
Got a friend whos selling a 17.4 ft glass half cabin and hes in your price range, with all safety gear and ready for offshore.
Ill try and get a pic for you, hes in the rochedale brisbane area.

Tight Lines
Adrian

sax
24-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks Adrian, that would be greatly appreciated.Cheers Sax

cooky
25-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Cooky
What year model is that motor?
Looks abit on the old side, have had bad experiences with the older motors.

1994 model - VERY GOOD condition - full mechanic test and looked after (guy had loads of coin).

One of the main reasons I chose the Northbank over the Sportsfish though - 2001 merc to 1994 johnson.