PDA

View Full Version : YOU MUST BE JOKING, OR YOU DON,T FISH MUCH

emscot
21-02-2005, 03:53 PM
YOU CAN,T TELL ME I,M THE ONLY ONE..!! THE QUESTION I PUT FORWARD TO FELLOW BOATIES ABOUT FISHING LINE AROUND THERE PROPS/SEAL DAMAGE.. AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT WOULD LIKE TO PROTECT THE OUTBOARD ON MY BOAT/PROP SEALS....???????

Lucky_Phill
21-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I'll bite, what was the question ?

BTW, Honda's come with a line cutter behind the prop to protect the seals from fishing line.......apparently.

Phill

bay_firey
21-02-2005, 04:04 PM
That Phill in it's self is a damn good question ;D ::)

Bundaberg_Bandit
21-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I'll have a guess, how about this one? :P

Am I the only person to snap off the blade of my best filleting knife, drill some holes in it and screw it to my outboard leg using mild steel screws ??? ??? ???

Kerry
21-02-2005, 04:14 PM
So why would people want to wrap fishing line aroud their outboards anyway #???

Outboards don't like fishing line and really it's not the outboards fault #:o

Cheers, Kerry.

nonibbles
21-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Mine used to like fishing line but one day I bribed it with my wedding ring to let me remove some. Fishing line came off easy and so did the wedding ring. Unfortunately, the prop, having no hands, dropped it and its now on the bottom of the sea between rattlesnake and herald islands. I guess the prop's very embarrassed about that incident because it hasn't tried to take any line off me or my mates since. ;D

nisrol
21-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I'll have a guess, how about this one? #:P

Am I the only person to snap off the blade of my best filleting knife, drill some holes in it and screw it to my outboard leg using mild steel screws ??? ??? ??? ???

You do odd things up there in bundaberg hope it was'nt his good knife ::) ?

cheers andy

Bundaberg_Bandit
22-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Nah it was only a joke......I would have used a butter knife ;D

aido
22-02-2005, 04:19 PM
i like to leave my motor in gear when anchored up fishing.
a rotating prop in the current sure can eat some line.

Spaniard_King
22-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Nuthin you can do about fishin line gettin wrapped around ya prop exept try not to run over fishin lines :P.

It will take a fair amount of line and time to destroy ya prop seal.

If you are that worried about it get used to takin ya prop off after each use ::)

Phill, Honda's don't have anythin speacial to remove/reduce fishing line wraping around ya prop.

No one has asked what braid will do to ya prop seal...concidering the strength properties of braid to mono, you would have to think it would do damage at a greater rate :o

Garry

NQCairns
23-02-2005, 04:17 AM
Thats a good idea Aido ;)

nonibbles
24-02-2005, 05:09 PM
ditto that! ;)

adriancorrea
24-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Yeh great idea Aido
But It sure scares the crap out of ya, when you go to start up and have forgotten and think theres something wrong lol
I now take mine off every couple of trips after making some pretty washers from mono and yeh hate to think what braid will do.

Tight Lines
Adrian

bugman
26-02-2005, 04:40 AM
Phil and Spanny King,

I can vouch for the line trap that lives on the Honda shaft.

I recently had the experience of jumping over board for 10 minutes trying to free 50m of braid with the knowledge that a 5 metre Tiger Shark was in the vicinity. I thought I had it all but when we got in and dropped the prop we found a lovely little "line collector" that sits above the seal which held another good 10 or so wraps.

Very handy for the small pieces but I'd still be removing the massive bunch of grapes on a big tangle.

Bugman