PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket - Goo ?

QldKev
28-02-2005, 05:13 AM
I've ripped down my 1977 55hp Evinrude, and yep the head gasket was blown. Thanks for the help there. OK, my book says to use some "OMC Gasket Sealing Compound" coated over the head gasket. Is this still standard practice? Or are the newer gaskets ok with out it?

propdinger
28-02-2005, 06:17 AM
i still use gasket goo just to make sure that i dont have to do it again

jeff

Tracker
28-02-2005, 06:27 AM
get jeff to give u a hand he gets it everywhere!!!

Spaniard_King
28-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Kev,

OMC made there own gasket goo which is a brownish type paste which never actually ever dries so it expands and contracts with expansion.

Get some locktite gasket goo ;D the red stuff which comes in a syringe container thats unless you know someone who has a similar type product, i don't think it matters too much as long a s you use a gasket type sealant

Have you checked the Head for warpage ???

Garry

nisrol
28-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi QLDKEV
the old aviation seal-a-gasket pick it up from any auto store i use it on every aplication great stuff.
And not expensive ;D.

cheers andy

QldKev
01-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will get some goo. I've checked the head for warping, seems ok; I just need to try and get a better method than my old s/s rule for doing it. I have been told to put a sheet of emery on a table and run it over in figure 8's and check the score marks. I may try this just to make sure.

NQCairns
01-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Hi Kev use nothing with silicon in the sealant, also a sheet of glass is better than a table, i wouldnt use the table. The ss ruler does a good job of checking for warp, if you didn't find any, it may not be there.nq

wheezer
01-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Best stuff to use on head gaskets is Hylamar (spelling?) spray on stuff for head gaskets, any decent auto shop should carry it.

QldKev
01-03-2005, 02:43 PM
I ended up with Loctite No.3 (Non hardening sealant) for the job. The local marine mechanic said its what he uses. He seemed to think the majors are all pretty good for the job.

I was very suprised when I went to the local boat machanic to pick up the head gasket. He said to me to bring the head in so he can inspect it; FREE ;D ;D I went home and took it to him, he sat down with me looking it over, discussion where it has leaked through the combustion chamber. Showed me both chambers had actually leaked ??? ??? Explained from looking at it, he thought it was due to age, not a major problem. Said I need to clean the gasket surfaces better than I had done ::) ::) Pretty happy, returning my faith in the marine industry.

Only real question was he recommended to cut the legs from the thermostat, leaving the main part for restricting the flow. He said for the amount of extra wear from a colder engine, compared to the risk of a thermostat sticking it was worth it. He did say that since we are in warmer waters it isn't that bad.