PDA

View Full Version : Would 6.5m platey ride as well as 6.5m glass

seabug
28-02-2005, 07:34 PM
I have read that a large plate boat will ride harder than a similiar size fibreglass boat as the fibreglas boat has a far deeper VEE hull

But that the plate will ride better at rest

Assuming that the above is correct, has anyone tried using suspension pedestal seating E.G nashcush,seatmate. to give a softer ride in a platey?
And if so could you post here the result?
Thanks+Regards
Seabug

Sportfish_5
01-03-2005, 03:14 AM
Depends on what boats you are comparing.

blaze
01-03-2005, 03:39 AM
can of worms

Fisher_Boats
01-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Seabug,
It's the shape of the hull that makes a boat ride..
Not what it is made from.
My two bobs worth ;)
Cheers
Col

NQCairns
01-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Dont forget weight! an extra 200+kg can make a big difference, regardless of deadrise - within reason, FG or ally.
About the seats, I have read posts about them and generally those that use them wouldn't have it any other way.nq

cooky
01-03-2005, 06:37 AM
suspension pedestal seating E.G nashcush,seatmate

I almost bought a secondhand 5.8m sportfish plate late last year and took it for a test ride. The boat dealer and I were wondering how the suspension seating would go. When adjusted correctly (these ones had dials for you to dial in your weight) - they were BLOODY EXCELLENT. I almost bought the boat because of them. I found it VERY difficult to find any information on them though - they don't seem to be very popular, but I tell you there would be a market for them GLASS and ALLOY. They're like riding on an aircushion. you just put your feet on the foot rests or leave them swinging and you stay level while the rest of the boat moves under you - really interesting feeling - particulary across the chop we had that day (wasn't big, but steep and was testing the motor out (flat out). There is no shock - they soak up everything.
The boat dealer had never sat in suspension seats and he was wrapped with them. If they were the right price I reckon EVERY plate alloy boat would sell with them.

Fisher_Boats
01-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Yeh NQ,
Weight can make a difference as well.
It's the entry area as well as the deadrise that also helps

Col

Sportfish_5
01-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Gotta get me a furry steering wheel cover lmao ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

cooky
01-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Gotta get me a furry steering wheel cover lmao

yep - that's the reason I didn't buy it. couldn't stand having a sheepskin steering wheel cover on a boat. ;D ;D

Although I'm thinking about Sheep skin seat covers :o

reScuE_RanGEr
01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
KAB seats make suspension seats where u can dial up your body weight and the seat will adjust. Very comfortable indeed. Fairly expensive too. We are getting 4 of them for our new rescue boat.

Steve

Fisher_Boats
01-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Wonder if there's foxtails on the aerials? ;D ;D

Col

seabug
01-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for replies.

I had tried dropping into a Nushcush at the 2003 melb. boat show.Could not get a shock.
But nothing like an actual trial under rough conditions.

Cooky, thanks for the report on test ride,and the photo,
Were they KAB seats?

reScuE RanGER(Steve) Thanks also,Looking foward to a report when you have tested the new boat.

I am trying to get all sorted for a new boat later this year(Hopefully)
Past lessons learnt= small boat +rough seas+cheap seats+bad back are a poor mix
Regards
Seabug

cooky
01-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Cooky, thanks for the report on test ride,and the photo,
Were they KAB seats?

Not KAB - I had taken some close-up photos which I can't seem to find at the moment. From memory they were made in england - I seem to remember looking them up on the net and couldn't find any marine seats this co. made, but they made these seats for TRACTORS.

Sportfish_5
01-03-2005, 05:28 PM
bare co ??