PDA

View Full Version : House boat moorings/berth

imagineer
03-03-2005, 11:36 AM
a mate of mine is wanting to liveaboard a houseboat ( lucky him)on the goldcoast where do you get a mooring and can he anchor anywhere? where are the regulations?

many thanks
Neil

ba229
03-03-2005, 03:02 PM
I heard many years ago that you aren't allowed to live on a house boat due to lack of fixed address. Something to do with the government wanting to get there tax.

I could be completely wrong and have never researched this subject.

drb
03-03-2005, 03:43 PM
I heard many years ago that you aren't allowed to live on a house boat due to lack of fixed address. Something to do with the government wanting to get there tax.

I could be completely wrong and have never researched this subject.

Then all those yachties down the marine must be breaking the law.

More likely you are only allowed to live aboard in approved areas. Stops the riff raff achoring up long term in the swish goldie canals

ba229
03-03-2005, 05:50 PM
What I heard was that there is a 6 months of the year limit.

Once again I haven't researched this. Only going on here say.

imagineer
04-03-2005, 04:22 AM
i cant find any regulations online or on qld transport site.

Ive picked out a nice little spot in front of Raby Bay

6mnths of a year would be great. lol

any pointers to who I should talk to would be appreciated.
Cheers
Neil

basserman
04-03-2005, 07:55 AM
alex i think that is for moaring in river but on registared moorings and marinas you are fine
for mooring in a river where you like i think that is one mounth or something like that
however it is a bit of a task to moiter so you could if you was fully equipte you could stay on a river for some time just moveing from one place to the next
but to answer your question just ring around some of the marinas and loacal goverments and ask about moorings
some of them marinas are very nice and can provide phone, tv, internet, water,sewer,and shore power ;D

mini696
04-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Anyone who is familiar with Mooloolah River will know how many more yachts are moored in it (near the Wharf).

Its ment to be a sheltered area for mooring during bad weather. I wonder how long it'll take to move those yachts along??

Mick

SeaHunt
04-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Pretty sure it is a local Government issue. A lot of people live aboard yachts full time in the Brissie river. I have read the ones controlling the Noosa river on a web site somewhere.

ba229
04-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I hope this (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/gc_anchoring_fs.pdf/$file/gc_anchoring_fs.pdf) helps

Anchoring, mooring or living aboard your boat in most Gold Coast waterways is
permitted for short periods of time. Limits and restrictions are listed below.

And look here (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/sc_anchor.pdf/$file/sc_anchor.pdf) for some info on the Sunshine Coast.

I will keep looking :-)

ba229
04-03-2005, 01:36 PM
As marinas in south Queensland are allowed to have a percentage of yachts with liveaboards, living on a boat here is an idyllic lifestyle (paragraph 13, taken from here (http://www.boatingoz.com.au/diary/010529a.htm))

So it looks like you can live onboard a boat full time. Guess I better start looking at some boats then #;D

imagineer
04-03-2005, 01:57 PM
thanks for the info guys so we are covered in gold coast and pumicestone
wonder if I can apply for mooring at Raby Bay
There is an old barge on a fixed mooring there who owns that I wonder

Thanks again
Neil