PDA

View Full Version : Trailer rust preventive mix

Vickypoint
05-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Guys/girls
I heard of a mixture of Kero or turps and linseed oil is a good rust preventive for the trailer. Does anyone out there use such a mixture?. And does it work. What is the proportions for the mixture.

devocean
05-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Have heard that before. I think it was more linseed than the other to. I use xtroll mate best on the market I reckon

Jeremy
05-03-2005, 07:01 AM
I used to use fish oil, but lanoguard is far superior

Jeremy

Dignity
05-03-2005, 07:40 AM
I thought it was diesel and linseed :-/ :-/

I use Tectyl can buy from Super Ch&&p in either spray cans or liquid formulation. Just make sure you don't get the one for aluminium. As it looks like rust I usually overspary it with silver paint.

Cheers Sam

mini696
05-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Are these coverings sticky once applied, or to they harden?

Mick

Kerry
05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
One can see the day and probably not all that much into the future when boat trailers will become the interest of the EPA :-X.

They haven't yet run out of other people to annoy but they'll get around to it I'm sure ::)

Cheers, Kerry.

Dignity
05-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Are these coverings sticky once applied, or to they harden?

Mick

Min696, the tectyl takes about 90 mins or so before you can overcoat it with silver spray. #You really need to identify what you are trying to do. #Do you have existing rust, is it just a preventive measure? #

Edit: #BTW Lanoguard (as Jeremy suggested) or any of the lanolin based grease are great on raw steel. #They do not have the same properties on rusting steel. #I suppose what is suggested is that ALL rust is removed first before doing anytjin else.

Sam