PDA

View Full Version : Stainlees, push pull steering cable?

dnej
04-03-2005, 06:17 AM
Is there such a thing, as a Stainless steel, push pull type steering cable inner?
If so who has them. What life expectancy do you get out of the standard cables.( Non stainless) Can the inner just be replaced, or is it a completely new cable?
David

Kerry
04-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Stainless ??? Uuumm have to think about that one but with any steering cable it ALL has to do with keeping the water AND the grease out.

I believe my steering cable would be 11 years old and in many respects will probably deteriorate from the outside well before the inside.

Cheers, Kerry.

dnej
05-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Kerry, I thought that, but a mate of mine has broken 3 in 15 years, the last time , last weekend, right on a bar crossing. Got me thinking about how often to replace them.
David

NQCairns
05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
David where was the break and was it in the same spot each time? Also what brand, would be interesting to know for future choices, I had steering let go once and it is a frightening experience! even going fairly slow, as luck would have it we comeing of the plane at the time. nq

dnej
05-03-2005, 02:06 PM
nq,
Will ask him where he had the breaks.
Just spoke to him, the first two were in the middle, the one now, he thinks may be near the motor end. He said you would get a surprise, if you knew how bad they get. Boy , that has given me food for thought.
David

NQCairns
05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
MMmmm.. I am not very up on steering, possibly he has the slightly too small version for his HP? I might consider going up when the time comes. I understand that the heavier/higher hp setup takes more turns lack to lock which is a pain in the behind like some hydraulic setups, although better than 5 years a pop. How come he hasn't flipped the boat already!!!

aido
06-03-2005, 12:12 AM
David where was the break and was it in the same spot each time? Also what brand, would be interesting to know for future choices, I had steering let go once and it is a frightening experience! even going fairly slow, as luck would have it we comeing of the plane at the time. nq

imagine full steam ahead and the steering cable breaks would
give an instant full lock power turn? could you close the throttle before being thrown out of the boat?