PDA

View Full Version : Longboats

devocean
03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Bet Im strating to annoy a few people on this board. Yes I am trying to buy a neboat. I had settled on a stessl trophy 5.5 when a guy at work tells me he is trying to sell his one year old long boat (think its a goodwin) 6.3 metres long big yammy on the back the boat hasnt even done fifty hours and he treats his stuff like gold.

Im a bit suss on them as they have low sides but people tell me they go like hell through the waves. Anyone got one or know someone with one or any opinions at all. By the way it will be cheaper than the stess by about 4 grand.

Cheers Devocean

rob2640
03-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Plusses for the longboat. Its glass not tin, its bigger and probably more stable. They have a great reputation and are based on Island work boats.
The only person who can decide though is you. Go for decent ride in both of them and then make up your mind.

Wild_Side
03-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey devo, You should go for a ride in them both, then make up your mind. They both have thier pros and cons. I have spent a bit of time in one of Gavins long boats and it did the job just fine, but I found it a little rolly going across the swells. Other then that they are a good work boat.
What size motor has your mate got on the back?
And have you looked at the price of a new goodwin. :-/

chemmy
03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
one of my mates has a 6 meter hooker center console and it gose great it is as smooth a ride as it gets and a sh!t load of space in them :D :D

Great for chasing macs and good for spear fishos:D ;D

Sportfish_5
03-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Reckon they would ride nicely but hope you dont suffer from sea sickness when outside. Long and skinny 8)

krazyfisher
04-03-2005, 02:25 AM
I have a goodwin 5mtr i use it around all the islands and have not been in a boat of the same size the rides as well in a bigger sea. go for a ride in it. where abouts are you and how much is he after for it by the way have a look at www.goodwinglass.com.au

devocean
04-03-2005, 04:31 AM
Asking price is 22k for the longboat

cooky
04-03-2005, 06:46 AM
I have a friend with one, but I haven't been in it. Another mate has and said it's scary with the sides so low in a bit of a sea outside, but they ride really well (cut through waves) and have heaps of fishing room.

The guy that owns it had a 5+ metre side console tinny (very nice) beforehand, but really likes this long boat.

Mad_Barry
04-03-2005, 07:36 AM
I regularly fish out of a 6m Cairns Custom Craft 'Northwind', (as opposed to a 'southwind ;))

The downsides are mentioned above.

The upsides are usually they require less HP to do the job = lower overall running costs.

Quite a few brand variations out there, Not everyones cup of tea but still an effective, economical fishing rig.

devocean
05-03-2005, 06:45 AM
Yeah a bit worried about the low sides and I here waves do tend to crash over the front in decent waves

krazyfisher
05-03-2005, 09:46 AM
I have been out in 2.5mtr seas yes thanks bom but I have never had a wave come over the front side or back

goodoo
06-03-2005, 04:55 PM
my boss has a 22 foot longie unknown origin we regualarley run out to barwon banks on good days at speed it lands hard going over swell doesnt like chop to well and is scary trying to get back with a big trailing sea when you get caught out my opinionof long boats is that they are more suited for calmer waters likes of morton or harvey bay or waters inside the GBR and FNQ where swells are kept down they are however a top fishing platform with loads of space and on good days stable enough for a dance party but as others have said try it for yourself firstand make up your own mind : GOODOO