PDA

View Full Version : Easy out / screw extractor

QldKev
02-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I've stripped a bolt in my outboard, so I've got a set of srew extractors. How are you supposed to use them?

I drilled the hold into it as per size on the extractor. Now what do I do? Do I first hammer it into it and then unwind it?

Spaniard_King
02-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Kev,

mate you are gonna have some problems.

did you break it because it's seized?

If so you need to heat it before using the ezyout as it will most likely break the eziout.

to use an eziout choose the appropriate one the just screw it anticlockwise into the broken bolt like you are trying to undo it. With some luck it will screw the bolt out, without luck you will break the eziout :-X 9heat will increase your chance of removing the broken bolt by 200%

Garry

Foxie
02-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Kev
Don't hammer it in just screw it in very carefully as tight as you can and than try to unscrew it. It should come out but if it doesn't try again, but don't get to heavy handed if you break the easy out off you won't get it out easily, as they are made of harden steel and near inpossible to drill out.
best of luck
Foxie

blaze
02-03-2005, 02:21 PM
The method of removal may depend on the type of srew extracter, some you srcew and some of the better ones have straight flutes and need to be tapped in gentley, the screw type have a bad habit of expanding the stud as they screw in as they are tapered. If it is a bolt in aliminun heat the area by using a high carbon flame first, that will blacken it, then heat with a normal flame until the black carbon start to disapear, now try and undo do it, remembering that alloy has a faster expansion rate. If using the straight fluted easy outs you can also rock the bolt back and foward as you remove it
cheers
blaze
ps
now you are probale confused

Sportfish_5
02-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Mate - If all fails you should be able to just drill it out and install a heli-coil kit.

Cheers

Greg

ANYFISH
02-03-2005, 03:06 PM
if it a "rigid" brand ezi out and is two peice you will need to hammer the inside shaft in first then slide the outer peice over it then try to get it out working it back and forth.
before starting you should heat it up and soak it in inox while it is still hot. this lets the inox get to the thread where it is needed.

if this doesn't work i hope you know a good ally welder ;D ;D

QldKev
02-03-2005, 04:42 PM
my easy out died, it was extremely tight and it stripped :'( :'( :'( :'( that was worth my $20. Time for a drill out and tap n die kit ::) ::) ::)
Thanks for all the help.

QldKev
07-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Thanks for all the help. The engine is back together and has made its first test run. All good ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D