PDA

View Full Version : Barcrusher vs Cruisecraft

Whiley_Whiting
09-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Ok gentlemen, I have recently been looking at upgrading the boat. I have been looking at the Barcrusher 560C and the Cruisecraft 500, 550 and 575 explorers. I am familiar with the ride of a cruisecraft, but not that of the barcrusher. My only concern with the 550 or 575 is fuel economy with the glass boat.

I was looking to power either rig with a Suzuki 4 stroke in the 90 to 115 range.

I currently have a glass boat but am willing to try something new and from all the write-ups the Barcrusher have recieved some great reviews.

Can any Barcrusher owners out there provide some advice on how these boats go in the open ocean?

I have read the reports posted on the Quitrex 650 report but how doe these compare to the make of the Barcrusher???

Any comments welcome.

ReefKnot_II
09-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Whiley_Whiting,

I currently own a 560c with a Yamaha 115 4stroke and I am impressed with the ride in open water. There stability at rest is incredible. I probably wouldn't put a 90hp if you want to take a load. They are a smooth boat to ride in but still can be noisey in rough chop. I personally believe the boat performs better offshore than in the bay. So far I have only ventured 30 km offshore with 3 blokes and gear with no trouble at all.

Where r you located???

Have you water tested one yet???

If you have any queries send me a PM.

Cheers

Justin

cooky
09-03-2005, 01:51 PM
My only concern with the 550 or 575 is fuel economy with the glass boat.

why the concern with Fuel economy? you're spending a sh*t load if you're looking at either of these boats, so money can't / shouldn't be an issue. get an upgraded tank if you're worrying about range. with a 90/115hp 4 stroke you should get massive range from a medium size tank.

I've read a bit about the bar crushers and they seem very well respected and a quality bit of kit.

I think most people on this site have done the aluminium VS fibreglass comparisons - positives and negatives for both of course

Fishinmishin
09-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Thank god it's a cruise craft ;), but with fuel prices, you could own another boat in a couple of years if you do the right thing initially. I spent $5000 year petrol alone with a 90 yammy :o.
Jay (cruise craft owner ;D)

cooky
09-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I spent $5000 year petrol alone with a 90 yammy

you must do some serious hours on your motors. I think most boat owners (small boats) would be lucky to spend $1000 to 2000 per year.

Especially with only a 90 - jezzus you lucky bugger

Heath
09-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Whiley_Whiting,

I tested both boats when I was looking for a new rig. The next size up mind you, but here is a link to my thoughts on the two boats. You might find it usefull.

Click Here (http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1042380319 )

Reefmaster
09-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Been in both boats and was disapointed with the Bar crusher. The BC was extremly noisey on the water while hiiting the waves and was bloody annoying. The cruise craft was alot better and are top all round boat. If you were looking at Fibreglass then your on the right track. For the price that the bar crusher is and the actaul size of the boat( not that roomy and a pretty small boat considering the other plate boats on the market) I dont beleive there worth the money. For that sort of money you can get a Custom plate boat bulit and believe me there alot bigger and more value for money. Speak to Col at Fisher boats and weigh up your options because his boats will make you a very happy camper.( col when do i get comission) and for the record no i don't own a fisher. lol
Cheers Greg

Whiley_Whiting
10-03-2005, 04:49 AM
I am currently going to check the barcrusher out this weekend. Not sure when a water test will be completed but hopefully soon. I saw a second hand 550 cruisecraft explorer a few weekends ago at Wynnum Marine and to say I was impressed was an understatement. However, I am not to keen on second hand outboard from past experience and my current outboard purchased new (back in 1997/8) has been a dream run.

I have been out in the Cruisecrafts before but am worried out fuel effeciency on the heavier hulls. This is important to me as I often take my current boat (Haines V146C) out for a number of days up top of fraser and taking extra fuel is always a pain. Travelling the long distances up that end of fraser to wide grounds requires a lot of fuel; but its worth it !!

I would also like the ability to tow along the beach. My tow vehicle is a Holden Frontera and its only 2 years old so I am not looking to trade it on a larger 4wd for at least another 3-4 years.

Reefmaster - thanks for the advice re fisher boats. I am yet to contact them but after reading the posts of Opimax and his new boat it definitely has got me keen. The reluctance of getting a custom is the time waiting however I think it may be worth it over the long run. What are you views on the JBS. I liked the one that F&B had made up a few years ago (walkaround 5.5m) and this could also be another option.

billfisher
10-03-2005, 05:04 AM
I doubt very much that you will notice any difference in the fuel consumption between the Cruise Craft and a similar sized Bar Crusher. Plate boats are not far off fiberglass boats in weight. Also given that the Bar Crusher has a fairly deep V it will requre a similar sized motor to the Cruise Craft.

mackmauler
10-03-2005, 06:03 AM
have you got a 4 stroke on the 146? for a few days outside the spit by my calculations 350L should be plenty, couple good tanks and youll be right.

Kiktz
10-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Have to agree with reefmaster, the best plate boat I have been on is my mates 6.4 Fisher they are truely awesome

Fishinmishin
10-03-2005, 01:57 PM
What are you upsizing to Rob ???. We trolled that WHOLE day and I think you were lucky to have used 30L. It'll be an ideal rig with a bit of a increase in speed, especially to ride the backs of waves at SP and not ride THE waves ;).

dfox
10-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Whiley- By the sound of things a custom boat would suit your needs better then an off the shelf job. I'd seriously consider going down the plate alloy path. That way you can have the boat fitted out and built for your particular needs.Have a long range tank installed for the long trips, a plate boat is more suited to beach launching.The bar crusher isnt as well designed for the beach, its deep v and water ballast system are a major draw back. I also agree that for its given length 5.6 theres not much boat, that long pointy bow seems to take up a lot of the overall length.I'd do a bit more research and price a few other options like the fisher, jbs ,amm ,rebel etc put a 4 banger on one of these and you'll have plenty of range.Im betting theres a better option out there to suit you mate. Hunt around and good luck...foxy

opimax
10-03-2005, 02:54 PM
just wondering what is the deadrise is on the barcrusher.
just because of more v & water ballast i think you can still put her in off the beach, you just have to pick your spot.
i think you should go the custom plate road its a long wait but as they say good things come to those who wait. ; ; ;D
p.s wiating for your new boat is painful but you get heaps of input to the finished product, heaps of photo`s & insight to what your bying as you watch her being built. ;D ;D

opimax
10-03-2005, 03:01 PM
p.s.s had a 575 outsider ,a top boat but not a lot of fishing room.
give me a call if you wait to talk 0417648217.

Heath
10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
If it's room you want a second hand 600 explorer or the new 625 explorer. HEAPS of room.

The customer plate boats do seem to be becomming very popular

Outsider
10-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Got out of a 550 Outsider "Bruisecraft" early this year. Was always pretty disappointed with the ride, for such a big heavy hull I thought it should have handled the rough stuff better. Maybe the bigger sizes would be better, but from most of the comments on here maybe not. Mine also had a 115hp 2st that was as thirsty as they come - often used 130-140 litres in a day. 2nd time around I was much more carefull and put heaps of research into the purchase.

I wanted an ally boat with a 4 st, under $50k (new or 2nd hand) and the Barcrusher kept coming back to the top of my list. Sure it was pretty big $$$ by the time I whacked a 4 stroke and all the goodies on, but it'd be new, it'd ride at least as well as the Outsider, I wouldn't be so worried about dinging it all the time and I could pick one up straight away.

I highly recommend testing a Barcrusher back to back with another boat of a similar length. I tested the 560c, then went straight round to see a Fisher 580 maxi owned by some dodgy guy some other dodgy guy I know knows ;D. Without seeing them back to back I mightn't have noticed much difference between the two.

All I can say is that back to back it's like comparing a Mini with a Landcruiser - the Fisher felt almost twice as wide, with 2 people able to stand in the back corners with over a meter of clear space between, and that extra beam carries all the way up to the cab, giving heaps more "dancefloor". I couldn't believe the difference. Cab in the 560 is very short, sleeping overnight would be difficult at best i think. Sure it rode well, although really noisy, but so do most other boats so good ride on it's own wasn't enough.

One thing that was the same in both was the price - actually worked out cheaper buying the 550 ext Fisher with a 140hp Suzi than a 560c with 115hp dodgyha 4st.

The downside is the wait while getting a custom boat built. You get to put in what you want, you get to see the quality in the build, and you get better after sales service and teething support (at least I did).

As I said I wanted to get this one right. And I'm fricken glad I waited. It's a pearler.

Buyers remorse??

Not likely.

Whiley_Whiting
11-03-2005, 05:07 AM
Thank you all for the input into this topic, which from looking through a lot of old posts has been done to death.

The solution - going to see barcrusher this weekend, hopefully test drive one in the coming weeks and then also going to give the guys at Fisher and AMM a call to discuss the options of a centre-cab in the vicinity of 5.5 - 5.8m whilst taking into account outboard size and fuel capacity.

The one thing about the barcrushers that keeps coming back to me is the beam. Its not as wide as what you can get in a custom, or 550 cruisecraft for that matter.

The deadrise on the barcrushers is around 18 - 20 degrees so beach launching requires finding the right hole to launch it. I spoke to a barcrusher owner last night that highlighted this problem to me from past experience...

At the end of the day I am in no hurry for the new boat as the current one is serving its purpose for now.... so in this respect as there are no time constraints a custom seems to be the better option.

Stay tuned.