PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Suggestions

PinHead
07-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I am considering purchasing a new boat with the following criteria. Any and all suggestions received gratefully.

1. It will be for estuary fishing...Pin etc.
2. some overnight trips
3. must be easily launched by one person - I am getting lazy these days.
4. centre console or cuddy cab.

What makes and models does anyone have suggestions for.

Fishinmishin
07-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I've gotta tinnie and I'll throw in a tarp for an extra $50. ;)

basserman
07-03-2005, 11:18 AM
455 polycraft ;D

Spaniard_King
07-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Pinhead,

whats the budget??
What vehicle are you towing it with?
do you have any place to store it (size limitations on garage /shed ect)

hard to make a call without these details

Garry

nisrol
07-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi pinhead
I would sugest wharever you get a multi roller trailer will be easiest to handle ( doing the same myself as this will be the way my new trailer from work will be ) as i have been told by the boss they are drive on drive off to drive on run it up the trailer leave the motor running and in gear hook up the winch shut it down and winch it up maybe 3 turns of the winch .

cheers andy

bay_firey
07-03-2005, 04:19 PM
455 polycraft ;D

Basserman
There should be a new one out by the end of the year in the range of about 5mtr

Pinhead
You say some overnight trips, how many people ?
The 4.55 poly c/c could sleep 2 for the occasional trip, and for estuary / pin they would be worth a hard look

PinHead
07-03-2005, 05:36 PM
"whats the budget??
What vehicle are you towing it with?
do you have any place to store it (size limitations on garage /shed ect)"

Budget - open on that at this stage
Vehicle..will be buying a new one of those also...probably 4x4 rodeo or navarra
storage - no problem.

bayrage - have had glass boats previously - 20 foot- always drive on and drive off.
overnight will be a maximum of 2

chemmy
07-03-2005, 06:28 PM
i recon go the poly there great boats [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

bugman
08-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Greg,

What - summer's over so you've got some spare time on your hands.

I still owe you a trip - don't think I haven't forgotten - it's just that I'm hopeless at scheduling ;D

JB
08-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Still need more info Pinhead, are you mostly using it for serious fishing, and if so , what types of fishing, i.e. throwing plastics, or flyfishing or live baiting?

I'm pretty impressed by a few boats of late, i really like the AMM's and the smaller Crusie craft explorers. The haines hunter breeze range seems to offer great value for money too.

I'm sure you will find a better boat than a 455 polycrap... err i mean polycraft, thats for sure. #;)

drb
08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm sure you will find a better boat than a 455 polycrap... err i mean polycraft, thats for sure. #;)

Sorry but I agree. Poly's are a great impoundment boat but that is where thay should stay. All this hype about how good they handle is crap. They ride marginally softer than pressed alloy but nothing like fiberglass.

Dazz

Nathanrb4
08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
i don`t know about fiberglass boats but i brought a 4.35 pressed boat 16 months ago and got a ride on a 455 poly about a month ago and i`m now wishing i`d looked at polyboats when i was buying. it was alot softer than what my boat rides and from what i`ve been told they are unsinkable.

DR
08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
have a look at www.webstertwinfisher.com.au ;)

Nathanrb4
08-03-2005, 11:03 AM
http://www.websterstwinfisher.com.au

vertico
08-03-2005, 03:29 PM
how much are they worth ?

DR
09-03-2005, 06:12 AM
Vertico, if you mean the Websters, i am pretty sure you can call the manufacturers & they will give you a price. from memory a 4.6 cc is around $26,000, but don't hold me to that...there is also a couple of 2nd hand ones on the website as well.
cheers

billfisher
09-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Dazb,

What are you basing your comments on when saying Poly's ride only marginally better than pressed tinnies. For a start the models from the 455 on up have heaps more V than a pressed tinnie. Also the outer hull flexes slightly when hitting waves, thereby absorbing impact. I test drove the 410 poly the other week. This is a flatter bottom, impoundment style boat. I ran it into some pretty steep boat wakes at around 18- 20 knots and didn't feel too much at all. If I did is my pressed tinnie I would be making an appointment with the chiropracter. Pressed tinnies are allright in reasonably calm water, but the are terribly hard riding in a decent chop.
I think some of these negative remarks about poly's (eg polycrap) are a result of some people being peeved about them costing thousands of dollars less than equivalent glass or aluminium boats.#

billfisher
11-03-2005, 06:29 AM
No replies from the Polycraft knockers ? I thought as much.

krazyfisher
11-03-2005, 08:12 AM
just on the subject of polycraft
1. I had a 4.55
2. yes better than a tinny in chop, but not much
3. as wet of worse than a tinny
4. not that stable
5. there are cheap
6. I would buy a 4.1 for dam and creek use

I do not blame the product I just think it is not a good hull design. And you get what you pay for.

My choice of boat would be something like a 530 haines.
but as long as you are happy with your boat it does not really matter what others think

Jethro
11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Have a look at www.elegantboats.com Raffi really knows his stuff

I had a 4.3m built just before Chrissy and its awesome.

They are fully custom built so you can pick and choose everything.

Mine fully optioned with a 50hp 4st Yammi, Minn kota, live well, all the bells and whistiles cost a shade over $22k.

These boats are almost bullet proof. Below is a pic of mine when it was being built.

polydriver
11-03-2005, 07:00 PM
If you are thinking of a poly boat and check out the mac range, it is a NZ company which is starting a PR campaign soon throughout Oz. Check out their web site and keep and eye on adds and you might get one on special.
www.macboats.com.au

Diesel-Demon
11-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Pinhead, Checkout www Lazercraftboats.com.au #alloy hulls finished like glass,NO BOG i know as ive been through the factory in NZ,they ride like a heavy glass boat,but are 4+5mm alloy,are light and handle great .I have an 7.4 metre sports GT with a Styer 250hp Diesel 4 months research and 27years of boats and this i find is the ultimate in trailable size, happy hunting

JB
12-03-2005, 10:33 AM
haha, the poly knockers had just forgotton about this post ;) We still hate em :P

I had the opportunity of checking one out at c/hams marine at redcliffe, it was only 4mtrs long but it was the heaviest 4mtr boat i've seen, a 4mtr tinnie would weigh half that much IMO. And as for the cost, i've never seen such an overinflated price on what is basicly an oversized ice box :-X.

isaac
12-03-2005, 10:40 AM
http://www.fisherboats.com.au/

thats what I'm savin for ;D

billfisher
12-03-2005, 06:25 PM
JB,

The weight of a 410 open boat is 265 kg if you bothered to check. Now tell me the weight of an equivalent aluminium boat (ie with forward and rear casting platforms and storage lockers). Also I don't see how extra weight is a criticism, anyone who knows anything about boats knows that extra weight equates to a softer ride.

Snowman
15-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi Pinhead
Are you looking for a boat with plenty of flat floor, all round fishing access,will take a heap of your mates, is smooth riding, light to handle, plenty of storage, easy to trailer, will drive on and off the trailer easily,easy to reconfigure,( leave some seats at home for the overnight trip), can be completly enclosed,floats in 8 inchs of water ( how far up the estuary do you want to go),requires less horsepower to plane, is easy to board and....get off, when beached, will attract attention, ( people will watch you closley, then comment, geez I didnt know they went so well, man you got a lot of space on that boat, did you really sleep 4 overnight, wish my boat would drive on like that,) you'll get used to the comments, is easy to clean, can be modified by you easily, has a ten year warranty on the hulls, and is cheap by comparison with equivilant sized boats. Then check out my website www.sunshinepontoons.com.au see how you go. Dont hesitate to ring 07 3888 2666

PinHead
15-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Okay...am now considering the following...all opinions appreciated...CC Outsider 625; Signature 702; Trailcraft; Whittley Cruisemaster Sovereign..so many bloody boats on the market now.

polydriver
16-03-2005, 06:54 AM
and Pinhead dont for get the poly built boats are now offering a boat in the 6 metre range which when you consider the cost is almost half, thats a lot of fuel and bait for fishing.....

DR
16-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I am considering purchasing a new boat with the following criteria. Any and all suggestions received gratefully.

1. It will be for estuary fishing...Pin etc.
2. some overnight trips
3. must be easily launched by one person - I am getting lazy these days.
4. centre console or cuddy cab.

What makes and models does anyone have suggestions for.

they are serious estuary boats. in anything less than perfect conditions i would hate to have to get one back on the trailer by myself. :o

PinHead
16-03-2005, 01:51 PM
DR..whatever boat I get will be drive off..drive on..I am a lazy boatie..I have no intention of using a winch at all.

As for the Polys..sorry guys but I won't even be considering them.

polydriver
16-03-2005, 05:24 PM
it always amazes me how people always shy away from new technology... well we poly guys will continue to enjoy our boats and the savings on the purchase price.

Good luck with the boat search Pinhead :D

billfisher
16-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Just imagine if poly boats were established for decades and fiberglass or aluminium boats were the newcomers. I think people would be finding a lot to criticise with regard to the latter two.