PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick lost!

NQCairns
04-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Thought this might be intersting to some, not long ago brunswick (mercury) lost it's bid in the courts of the US to stop Yamaha selling it's outboards cheaper than them, they sited that Yamaha was dumping onto the Us market to gain unfair market share.

In the US a person can buy a Suzuki 4st 225 for $11900 US !
Yamaha is now selling more of their new 150hp 4st than their HPDI 150hp and across the board the Yam 4st are easily outselling their problematic HPDI.

Might be intersting to note that with the lack of an independent eye on our market what is going on here, the tip is the DFI prices in the US are going to drop greatly to pull in the punter, this is then tiped to then pull down the 4st prices to compete, hope we get some spinoffs from this US consumer driven war on prices (with help from Yamaha) here in Australia in the next couple of years.
Might be time to hold of that new engine purchase a while longer, I dunno! The end of DFI technology could be just around the corner!!nq

Hooker1
04-03-2005, 08:14 AM
It makes you wonder why the 2 strokes are so expensive in the first place. They won't do as many hours before they have to be replaced. This is why so many people jumped at 4 strokes when they came out (longevity).

The other day I went to a dealer to ask the price on a new 40hp 4stroke and could only get the price of a 40hp 2 stroke evinrude out of him. The dealers never seem to publish there prices. I sent out 6 emails two Weeks ago and got one reply from a dealer on new 4 Stroke. It makes me wonder whether these guys can sell anything at all if you can't get a price in the first place. So if prices do drop dramatically, who would know.

Maybe the US is the place to buy. Once Exchange rates and Transport costs and duty are taken into account you would at least know what your up for.

NQCairns
04-03-2005, 10:51 AM
My thoughts also Backlash, with the US in economic strife and our dollar gaining it may even be possible right now and before they start discount wars over there to buy 2 motors from the US for the price of 1 here, - now thats a warrenty you could count on ;D
Dealers are a funny bunch, one would think they must be doing very well indeed to ignore a potential buyer. nq

Spaniard_King
04-03-2005, 11:43 AM
My thoughts also Backlash, with the US in economic strife and our dollar gaining it may even be possible right now and before they start discount wars over there to buy 2 motors from the US for the price of 1 here, - now thats a warrenty you could count on ;D
Dealers are a funny bunch, one would think they must be doing very well indeed to ignore a potential buyer. nq

nq this is meant to be light hearted ;)

Mr nq buys 2 new engines from US, they arrive ontime, fit beautifully, run like a dream.... He then receives in the mail a letter stating that he needs to return the engines to the place of purchase for a warranty recall as his engine is in danger of failing. His engines are not on any dealer system in Australia... is the local dealer gonna help him????? or is he lucky he bought 2 ;D

my 2 cents

Garry

NQCairns
04-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi Garry, no I am serious, although I would only buy one but was highlighting that with the leftover bunch of dollars a person could take the risk easily with some forthought.
About a recall I wouldn't even consider an OPTI or HDPI so the risk would be very very very low. The Suzuki is where it is at!!! then the Yam (old tech or 4st) then the E-Tec, very possible and great are the odd's a person would be laughing all the way to the bank, serious! nq

PS if a dealer offered US prices here in Australia x-warrenty I would also jump at that.

Spaniard_King
04-03-2005, 03:08 PM
nq,

funny this has come up because I have a mate who has sourced a 225 Honda in the US and is currently going thru shipping and import duties/taxes.

I think it is the Taxes that will make or break the deal and shipping won't be cheap, Let ya know some details when they come to hand.

cheers

Garry

NQCairns
04-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Garry it would be interesting to hear about your 'mate' ;) ;D Is that a Honda in your avatar? :o

Just mucking :D looking forward to knowing what is up with grey import outboards. cheers nq

Kerry
04-03-2005, 04:07 PM
So what's the thinking that 4 strokes will outlast 2 strokes ??? Is that why people buy them ??? Somehow I would doubt that as at the rate most people run up hours on outboards longevity probably doesn't apply to all that many people.

But since 4S's are apparently only a stop gap measure until 2S technology is further advanced then it's all rather academic, isn't it ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

SeaSaw
04-03-2005, 06:02 PM
About a recall I wouldn't even consider an OPTI or HDPI so the risk would be very very very low.

There has just been a recall on the Yammy V6 4 strokes. Only a minor issue ... the throttle cable linkage needs replacing .... but it happens. Had mine replaced earlier this week ::)

Mark

bigblue
15-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Consider an often overlooked and little publicised fact of four stroke outboards

The considerable cost at each service interval - it aint cheap! not by any means. :(

jimbo59
16-03-2005, 04:22 PM
i do all my own serviceing on my 225 they are just a motor dont be scared ot em

NQCairns
16-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Jimbo I liken them to a 2 stroke or 4 stroke lawnmower although water cooled, 2 stroke timing can be a trap to the unwary, everything else is fairly run of the mill even for a self taught tinkerer like me.

Big_Kev
18-03-2005, 12:12 AM
But since 4S's are apparently only a stop gap measure until 2S technology is further advanced then it's all rather academic, isn't it #;D #

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry where did you get that information from?