PDA

View Full Version : Trailer legality

macca
19-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Thinking of taking the brakes off my trailer.

I am towing a 445 Hornet. I have weighed it all up on paper and it all comes in at under 750 kg. That is Boat,boat accessories, fuel, trailer and motor.

Do I need anything such as a legal document from Main roads to take the brakes off?

Are there any other 445 owners out there who don't run there package with the brakes?

Do you think it would be wise to have the trailer and boat weighed at a weigh bridge before going ahead?

Thanks

Macca

dfox
19-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Macca- cant see anything wrong with taking off the brakes if the rig comes in under the 750kg. Might be a good idea to wiegh it first just be sure. Otherwise use them until there playing up and then remove them?

dugong
19-03-2005, 03:40 PM
macca, load the boat up and then get it weighed as you maybe in for a surprise as to how much it weighs. keep the weigh bridge ticket, if it goes under then ask your local rego office inspector about it.
could save you a lot of agro if you get pulled over for a random roadworthy

Paul_C
19-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I have a 4.55 Hornet Wildfish that was custom built for some one else, it doesn't have brakes on the trailer, and i've gotta tell you that i've never had it on a weigh bridge, and if its under 750kg i'm a monkeys uncle, the tyres are inflated to 30psi and they still look like there half flat, and the thing pushes a 2 tonne Poojero thru corners worse than the 2 tonne Dingo trailer I also tow with it, which has over-ride brakes on it.

Get it weighed first and carry the weigh bridge docket with you if you take the brakes off, if it is even remotely close to 750kg leave them on.

The Main Roads scaley boys had a blitz on boat trailers a while back, and their not very nice blokes, wanna be coppers most of them and they'll just throw the book at you.

PC

aussiebasser
19-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I had my 435 Hornet with 50 4stk and a heap of options weighed and it came in at 880kg with no fuel tanks. I fitted brakes, and I reckon they are the best thing ever. I can't see why anyone would want to remove their brakes from the trailer. Think about how expensive it could be on a wet road following a BMW. If you do remove them, you'll have to go the the Transport Dept, so they can inspect it, and reclassify it.

Is there a specific reason why you want to remove them?

basserman
19-03-2005, 04:40 PM
i agree with dale as i had a scare on a nice wet slippery corner while towing my mates 4.1 polycraft
it sure went under 750kg and had no brakes but still on a wet slippery road it tryed to make the back of my hilux go straght and not turn around the corner and this happend at under 40km/hour on a small downhill bend :o
slight scare and alittle sideways but we just gained control and kept driveing
if it has brakes keep them and keep them in good order and who knows they just may save you a ton ;)

Kerry
19-03-2005, 04:59 PM
It doesn't take much of a boat/tailer and gear to go over the 750kg mark. Weight on paper is totally irrelevant, on the scales is the only number that counts.

Cheers, Kerry.

macca
19-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Your right fella's, it would be a dumb move.

I have just had a lot of trouble with the override brakes dragging extremely tight on the hub disc's on both wheels. especially the front shoes.

They are Alko brand, anybody know how to fix this or how to adjust them so there is little drag. I have moved the adjustment bolt and nut at the rear of the assembly to give a bit more freedom, but they still rub the disc. The whole assembly seems to be on a post so it can move, as soon as I adjust them the front shoes just seem to go tighter against the disc on the hub.

I rang the guy at Special trailers and he thought the bracket that is welded to the axle assembly which the brake assembly is bolted to might be welded at an angle which causes this problem, so he suggested a hammer to bend it back. I also bought a complete new hub this week and I have fitted it, the disc seems to give a bit more clearance as the old disc hub seemed to have a warp in it.

Any how I'll persevere and see if I can get a result.

Macca

aussiebasser
20-03-2005, 12:31 PM
When I had mine fitted by Redco, I had the empty trailer half way home and one wheel locked up. I had to drag it down Ipswich road at 4.00pm on a Friday leaving a black trail on the road 'til I got home. I ground the pads down a bit which gave it more clearance. I have noticed that some sets of pads have a thick and thin pad. Maybe Redco fitted two thicks to one side and two thins to the other. I haven't checked, and haven't had any more problems. It does pay to keep the cable fairly tight so you don't get the constant banging from the sliding coupling.
There should only be one set of pads per disc, so I'm a bit confused when you say the front shoe binds up.

blaze
20-03-2005, 01:08 PM
hi dale
I reckon he is talking drum brakes aposed to disk brakes
cheers
blaze

Kerry
20-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Horrors of horrors ??? drum brakes on a boat trailer [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

Cheers, Kerry.

macca
20-03-2005, 02:36 PM
These are them the one in the picture on the bottom right, a pad at the front and one at the back.

I am going to email Alko next week to get instructions on how to adjust them.

Well, I know how to adjust them, but what is the best way to adjust them, what tolerances and so forth.

Macca

moondancer
20-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Yep, careful with the wight issue - when you get pulled up for a random wighbridge check, everythinhg in the boat counts - fuel, gear, ice, mother in laws, etc.!!

Why not just leave them on, do a bit of maintenance on them, and enjoy the extra margin of safety?

coasty
20-03-2005, 03:15 PM
i tow a 455 brooker, alloy with forward control and a 40 suzi with no problems. the trailer has no brakes and is running 14 inch ht holden mags.
it doesnt matter if its behind my cruiser or the wifes berlina.

Kerry
20-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Coasty, So what does it weigh?

Cheers, Kerry.

bignick
20-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Why remove something that gives you a little bit of insurance in the form of extra stopping power. I've had 2 boats with braked trailers and you knew it if you forgot to flip over the little over-ride lever; the whole show took a hell of a lot more stopping without brakes than it did with them.

Cheers,
NICK.