PDA

View Full Version : FORWARD CONTROL CONVERSION FEASABILITY

Bosunsmate
21-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey guys 'n' gals
Have a 3.6m with tiller controls at present and am considering converting it to forward controls (steering/throttle/trim).

I am unsure as to the feasability of such a modification not to mention the likely costs involved. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Zeeke
21-03-2005, 07:55 PM
i used to own a 35hp evinrude elan which is a tiller model, and had it converted to a side console on my boat.. cost around $700 for the bits and pieces, dont know about trim, unless the motor already has power tilt and trim, not worth really spending big bucks on such a small motor.. but steering and throttle controls shouldnt be too hard to do.. ive seen boats with engines as small as 9hp setup with it.. mostly on yamaha outboards tho

Tim

NQCairns
22-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I would suggest you consider a CC if anything at all in that sized tinny, running into a sharp chop with your body bent over leaning toward the centre of the boat will do your back in pretty fast I would imagine if set up forward and to the side.

I have a 4.2 forward CC it's an old brooker hull (I think), this hull is narrow and fairly deep V so it travels through the rough really well, better than todays wide bodied tinnys except for the very heavey ones, I couldnt even consider a side mounted setup it would beat me up too much, ATM my legs do the absorbing and there is no list when underway and by myself.
My CC sits on the forward thwart I stand in the hole on the bare hull between the CC and the centre thwart I can also sit on the centre thwart for a rest underway.

One thing to consider also is the throttle/gearchange linkages under the cowl may be different on an outboard that is built as a tiller steer. The dealer would have the parts needed I am sure for a cost. The 4.2 I wouldn't consider converting back to a tiller, it is only just big enough as a forward CC, but on a 12 footer space can be at a premium. nq

Bosunsmate
23-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for that NQ. I will consider that, i have minimal fllor space as it is due to the forward lockers and the location of the two seat pedestals that are in place at the moment. I would need to remove these (Seat Pedestals) prior to installing CC. What type of $$ did the CC cost for your boat if I may ask?

I know the steering and throttle controls are inplace on the motor and there are telegraph fittings available at a reasonable cost, my main concern is the overall amount of work. This tub cost me $3500 three years ago, would it be cheaper for me to source another boat already fitted with a CC?

This is the tub at present you can see the step up with the two hatches. Top is storage and lower is kill tank with bung onto deck area.

Bosunsmate
24-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Bow area...

Bosunsmate
24-03-2005, 08:36 AM
stern area...as you can see there is plenty of deck space. Was considering removing the seat pedestals and placing a cc just aft of the forward most pedestal. This ould allow space for access into forward lockers and bow area.

Jeremy
24-03-2005, 11:13 AM
I think you might find that it comes out at a fair bit more than $700 when it is all said and done. I converted my 4.3m tinny to a CC several years ago, and I think it came out somewhere around $2000 all up.

There is the cost of the console, remote kit for your outboard, throttle cables, steering cable and wheel and control box. Then there is the cost of fitting the console and the throttle and steering controls (if you don't do it yourself). Plus you then want to move your nav lights and sounder, and on top of all that are all the screws and bolts etc which really adds up too.

All up though, really worth it if you get it right.

Jeremy

NQCairns
24-03-2005, 01:09 PM
I bought the boat around 15years ago and someone had already fitted the CC but made out of ply, I narrowed it a bit and got a place to bend me up another out of light alluminium, mine uses a frame inside for all support.

I have changed motors once, I had to take the tiller of the new Johnson and connect up the forward controls under the cowl, the problem here was the tiller steer engine needed no clamp at the engine to capture the terminating outer portion of the control cables, so I had to make one, or I could have bought one I suppose. Being tiller I wonder if yours already has that doovy?

The forward CC in mine works well for anchor retrieval I only need to motor up until the line is slack and beside the then reach over and grab it, all can be done alone without leaving the controls, that apart for the more fun and just easier to drive aspect of the CC is what I like about it most compared to tiller.
Yours may be a candidate for a rear CC? Another member on here named Snelly has a nice rear CC setup although his boat is 15 foot but is glass like yours. PM him he might send you a pic, it's a nice setup for a small boat provided there is enough room forward I guess.

Bosunsmate
24-03-2005, 05:04 PM
I suppose the question is would I get my $$$ back if I ever decided to sell up and upsize....If I spend another $2k on this boat it would mean it has cost me about $6500...who is going to pay that much for a '97 glass boat with a '97 model Evinrude?

I dont think there are too many people that would pay that much, besides I could get a nice little 2nd hand CC for that amount of $$$ if I hunt around. I suppose it comes down to the personalisation of your own boat...

The thot plickens....this may end up in the too hard basket the way it is going....all procrastination aside many thanks to one and all for your advice and thoughts, I certainly will look up "Snelly" and chat with him about his setup....

Well we are now off to Kurrimine Beach camping for a few days won't be back on here until Tuesday so have a safe and happy Easter one and all may the Easter Bunny bring heaps of chocolate joy....You can eat every last piece of chocolate without worrying about the weight, once the package is opened all the kilojules/calories fall out and the left over is healthy for you....:)