PDA

View Full Version : fun with the trailer

aido
10-03-2005, 04:10 PM
thought i'd replace some trailer springs
while the going was good...
off with the hubs, shite, my brakes are gone.

anyone got any recommendations for getting brake parts.
i'm even suspecting a whole new axle/ disk brake hub
setup ready to roll might be the go. ouch, didn't need that
loss of beer vouchers right now.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/brake1.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/brake2.jpg

thanks for any ideas, aido.

Needmorerum
10-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Wouldn't worry about it Aido, looks like you've been without them long enough now.

I run what I think is the cheapest option, was on the trailer since new. Disc rotor and cable/pressure activated. Probably not the best system, but more ecenomical, and you can see what condition they are in without having to take anything off. You can also hose them out well after every trip.

Good Luck, look forward to hearing what you find out.

Corry

SeaSaw
10-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Aido,

You can buy the parts or the whole brake setup at any decent trailer spares place. I bought a set a couple of years back and I think it was about $500 for a pair (a place at salisbury called All Trailer Spares was the best price I culd find at the time), but they are probably more now. Being electirc brakes designed for caravans, they are not much good if you don't spend a lot of time maintaining them. I have to pull mine apart and replace a few bits and pieces at least one a year to keep them working, but is saves buying a full new set.

Cheers,

Mark

SeaSaw
10-03-2005, 05:48 PM
PS There is nothing wrong with your axle by the look of it. The backing plate has 4 nuts on the back of it so that it can be removed and you just bolt a hole new brake set up on.

Looking at your picture of the actual brake mechanism, there is no linings left on the brakes so you are probably up for a new set.

Mark

dfox
10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Aido- as mark has said ,change the entire brake system over to disks.
here's a starter mate from northside marines catalog, i think the pics cover everything you'd need...foxy

finga64
11-03-2005, 04:58 AM
mate, Give Action Fabrications at Beenliegh a call on 38076666 I couldn't find cheaper or more helpfull (trailer bearing kits for $7.70 each :o)
I think you can buy marinized brake setups now
Think of your delema as a challenge not a problem
;D
Nice boat too!!

NQCairns
11-03-2005, 05:02 AM
All Trailer Spares is nice and cheap - www.alltrailerspares.com.au/ . Terrific site that one! Lots of bussinesses could learn a thing or two from this site!
A year ago when I needed all the bits for a trailer, with freight Bris to Cairns I still would have had enough left over compared to the local quotes, for a couple of reef trips.
When pressured the locals came down to a bit below, but it was like getting blood from a stone ::) #nq

noluck
11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Aido that what you got on looks to me it is just rear ford falkon EA station wagon brakes

aido
24-03-2005, 08:07 AM
thanks for all the help guys.
action fabrication made me a new drop axle
with mechanical disk brakes for $430. thanks finga.
got a pair of 6 leaf springs from my local leisure marine
guy at capalaba for $50 each and fittings for another $50.

yeh, every threaded bit was a challenge, though in some
peculiar way gave a good feeling when it was done.
http://users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/trailer.jpg

cheerio, off to fishing again now.

imagineer
24-03-2005, 08:11 AM
what do you mean drop axles?

looks like exactly what I need
thanks
Neil

Volvo
24-03-2005, 08:19 AM
aido, sumthin for ya ta think about which may help you get a bit more life out of your leaf springs in the future..
Visit your local upholsterer and purchase a roll or two of two inch strip hession..
Soak in Diesel mixed with w ee bit of oil.
Wrap this hession around your leaf springs tightly and hold end with the aid of some cableties...
every now n then after you launch your boat after you park it you can just squirt a bit of oil(via oil can) onto top of hession and it finds its way in among the nooks n crannies of your springs..
If you dont submerge your axles when launching your rig you'll find this little tip of great value....
NOW!!! for all enviromentalists, ye shall notice i DID!! say "As long as ya dont submerge your axles ;D ;D....
Cheers

aido
24-03-2005, 09:12 AM
what do you mean drop axles?

looks like exactly what I need
thanks
Neil

the axle stub is welded on top of the axle proper,
maybe it's the wrong term, offset might be better.
like my old one here,
http://users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/axle.jpg

imagineer
24-03-2005, 09:15 AM
why off set it ??
mine is the same although looks a bit amateur
Cheers
Neil

aido
24-03-2005, 09:31 AM
i think it just lowers the trailer frame a bit.

imagineer
24-03-2005, 09:42 AM
thanks m8 appreciate your help

Neil

walruss
24-03-2005, 10:25 AM
I have drop axles on my tinka trailer. It keeps the whole lot very low to the road. The offshoot of this is tghat at times it is too low. If I come out a driveway the number plate bottoms out. It also makes driving on anything other than a smooth road a bit average. The roller mounts sit very low. As a result the frame on mine is about to receive a 50mm lift to get over some of the clearance problems. Before contemplating a drop axle check your clearance first.

Russ

aido
24-03-2005, 02:45 PM
i suppose you could unbolt the axle, flip it over,
end over end and refit it. should give you 90mm
more clearance in theory and leave a nice bit of
blood/sweat/skin on the shed floor.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

imagineer
24-03-2005, 02:54 PM
just had a look at mine and the drop is faced backwards sois moving the wheels back not down also other axle is straight thru
should you have both axles dropped?
it would surly make launch and retrieve easier the lower they are.
Cheers
Neil

Kerry
24-03-2005, 04:59 PM
::) Is there still trailer manufacturers out there putting drum brakes / electric brakes on boat trailers ???

Cheers, Kerry.

aido
24-03-2005, 05:13 PM
i would hope not.
though tinka was in 1985 it seems.

basserman
24-03-2005, 05:18 PM
seafarer (tinka) have eletrice disks
i know drums just bite (even thought most trucks still have drums) but what about electric discs???

Kerry
24-03-2005, 05:52 PM
seafarer (tinka) have eletrice disks
i know drums just bite (even thought most trucks still have drums) but what about electric discs???

Electric discs ::) on a boat trailer :o what a horrid thought. Maybe some still think they are making caravans ;)

I'm pretty sure most trucks don't go down the local ramp every day and have a swim either ;D

Cheers, Kerry.

basserman
24-03-2005, 06:01 PM
well depend on how desprite i am for a fish kerry :P
nah i was just say that most trucks still run drum even though they are not the best even in the dry (and i hate the noise ::))
so you recone stay away from the electric systems??
what about (this is from their pamphlet) double in-line vacuum brakes???
only resone i ask is because all i have ever had was the old trusty mecanical disks

Kerry
25-03-2005, 03:29 AM
"Double in-line vacuum brakes"? being a pamphlet sounds good but not sure what the intent is with that. Separate tank / master cylinders for individual axle or twin tanks serving all axles through a single master cylinder?

Vacuum is expensive but where break-away is required there hasn't been too many alternatives. But in any case vacuum is only the activating medium (vacuum assisted hydraulic) not the actual brake (mechanism as such) as one could have vacuum assisted drum or disc.

Just don't get Electric assisted hydraulic confused with electric brakes, quite different as electric brakes and salt water simply don't go together.

I'd call the following a dual vacuum system, each axle served by a separate vacuum tank and hydraulic cylinder.

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/towbar_w1.jpg

Cheers, Kerry.

basserman
26-03-2005, 08:02 AM
ok thanks kerry
i will ask them some more indepth question about the set up of the breaks
(imho most important thing on the dam trailer)