PDA

View Full Version : eagle ray 1700 cc - 2000 model w 70hp yammy

Benny
25-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Came across a second hand eagle ray 17ft centre console, bloody ugly looking thing, anyone out there know much about these boats?. For the money seems to be a cheap 'in between boat' until dollars permit the plate boat. It has 160 hours on 2str yammy - asking $13k.

zulu
26-03-2005, 02:12 AM
G'day Benny, I owned a Eagle Ray for 2 years. I think they provide a great fishing platform,very stable and safe boat. The hull from memory is rated up to 100hp. It originally had a Merc 60 and I then upgraded to Merc 90. Depending on how far you normally go fishing I would think the Yammie would be fine. Price sounds pretty cheap. A good bay boat. Fairly rough wet ride in the choppy stuff. Very safe boat on bar crossings [used by some of the coastguards]. I would not take it too far offshore, having said that I did take it from 1770 to Lady Musgrave 130 km round trip! Sounds like a good in between boat, it was for me, Regards Troy.

Benny
26-03-2005, 04:42 AM
Thanks zulu

mate whats the reason why you wouldnt take the thing far offshore??. How did yours handle the trip from 1770 to Musgrave?.

zulu
26-03-2005, 09:58 AM
Benny, the trip over to Lady Musgrave was fine, we stayed the night and when we went to leave it was blowing 20 knots plus! We decided to stay for a few hours and fotunately the wind backed off and we where able to leave. From my experience, when you push the boat at cruising speed [35 kph] through anything more than a .50m chop, it was a hard wet ride. Outside on a long swell is not a problem, I asume the bumpy ride was from the multi-hull set up, unlike a monohull which can cut through the messy stuff. I have thrown in some old photos. Don't get me wrong I loved the boat. I suggest you take the boat for a test in some messy stuff and make up your own mind.

zulu
26-03-2005, 10:10 AM
heaps of fishing room.

Benny
27-03-2005, 04:43 AM
thanks zulu

the boat is pretty well identical to yours, but not quite as 'brand new' looking as your photo's.
Even though in the messy stuff the boat was hard and wet did the boat handle it no prob's? feel strong and safe?.
I will be taking it through the seaway on a less than ordinary day before I buy ;D.

cheers

Benny [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

zulu
27-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Benny,no problems, yes it did feel strong and safe. You will have no problems taking it through the seaway. Even if you take a wave on board the scupper valves have no problem letting the water out. As you can see from my old set-up I had a set of clears made up to keep us dry. Good luck.

Benny
27-03-2005, 01:05 PM
thanks 4 the info zulu ;D ;D