PDA

View Full Version : Deep Cycle Battery Advice

budgebass
25-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Gidday Everybody

Just chasing some advice. I have a Minn Kota Riptide 36lb Thrust Electric Motor.

I teamed this up with a Century N70T Deep Cycle Battery.
I have only got 18mths usage of this battery, about 50 trips.
with about 3-4 hours each time.

Is this alright? What is the best battery? What is the best battery to use? It is hard to get good advice about these batteries?

Any advice would help
Cheers
Budgebass

Ball_08
26-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Budgebass

I have had several brands of lead acid batteries - Century, Besco, Trojan etc - and from my experience the best batteries are the those made in the USA (ie Trojan and Motolite). I had a trojan for 7 years before it kicked the bucket. Currently i have a 75 a/h Century (shit in my opinion - 18 months old and dying) and a 75 a/h Besco (18 months old and still going strong). However my next 2 battaries will be Trojans - you pay for quality!

Also with regard to battery time i found the Maximiser system in the Minn Kota's to be excellent, it provides extended fishing time per battery especially at low speeds (eg trolling). If you can afford a Kota with the maximser - get it!

Also if your serious about fishing (especially in electric only waterways) get yourself a smart or inteligent charger. It will prolong battery life by fully and properly charging your batteries each time.

Ball_08

budgebass
26-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Cheers Ball_08 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That is great advice, just what I needed.

Thanks once again
;) ;) ;) ;) [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

searaider
26-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Geday Ball_08 ,
I have resently been looking into new boat batteries & Chargers . Was either going to get 2 x Century Marine Pro 600's ,or going the whole hog & getting 2 x 100 A/H AGM Absorbed Power .
The only problem's with the AGM's are :-
1. The price around $ 290 EA .
2. Heavy buggers at 31 KG EA
3. Have to be re-charged with a smart charger .

I always add INOX in all the Wet cell batteries I've had
( seems to help )?

Do you have any Info / feedback good or bad , prices , suppliers ,on Smart Chargers ( I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one no mattet what type of batteries that I end up with )

You said that you have had problems with Century Batteries , were they the Marine Pro Type ?

Who are the agents for Trojan Batteries ?

Thanks
Peter
Searaider 2

tonyp
27-03-2005, 10:31 AM
I use 130 amp hour Super Charge Batteries for my trolling motor and they are a good lead acid and last me well.

Have a look at www.guestindustrial.com
for there chargers they are very good ;D i would recommend the 2620-230 for a twin battery set up.

Yes i have a vested interest in them i Import and Sell them.

If i can help Email me tpayne@onthenet.com.au

Ball_08
27-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Peter

I havent had problems with the Century battery, it just hasent performed (lasted) as long as others ive had - infact, well short. Not sure who the agents for Trojan are in Australia, however id be surprised if one of your local battery dealers couldnt get them.

As for smart chargers, 'Guest are best' but also consider Y-K there good too. Mate of mine had an EPS, but it kept overheating and in the end it died (less than 12 months old). He now has a Y-K.

To Easy

Ball_08

macca
27-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Yep I too have a Supercharge 130 amp. Great Battery and also made in the US.

Macca

searaider
27-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the Info guys ,
It gives me some other options to explore .

tonyp ,
Thanks for the offer , I'll check out the Website , then let you know which way I'm going .

Peter
Searaider 2

Jack_Lives_Here
28-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Got a BeeTech charger for my set up. 25amp, so it dumps the power in. Found it fautless on my recent trip up to NQ.