PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude E Tec 40hp

WAfarmer
25-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I bought a new 40hp Etec and from the start it ran badly from 1800 rpms to about 3000 rpm.
It went back to the dealer and after a lot of to'ing and fro'ing to Bombadiar with programs he says they replaced the injectors and EMM.
The problem is it still has a bit of a miss and hesitation at 2600 rpms and today on the muffs at idle it seems to have an intermitent miss.
The dealer says the bit of a miss at 2600rpm is the engine changing from stratified charging to normal running?
The engine has done less than 10 hours.
To the guys with Etec's do your's behave like this?

Thanks in advance

A G

bassfanatic5
26-03-2005, 11:05 AM
WAFarmer,
I have not had any problems like yours with my 50 etec and i have 6 mates with etecs and they haven't either. I know of one 90 etec after trolling for a while it would miss a bit at 1000rpm but after a run it would be fine. After a trip to the dealer and a check by the mechanic it turned out that the reprograming to run the synthetic oil had not been completed so it was running to much oil. Normally not a problem but it was the cause of the miss. The dealer reprogramed the motor again and the miss was gone.
Cheers bassfanatic5

WAfarmer
26-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks Bassfanatic5 I have mine programmed for the synthetic oil but with the low hours it will still be running double oil, untill 10hrs I think then it automaticly changes.
Maybe thats what it is.
At this stage I wish I had bought the Honda or any 4 stroke.

A G

tonyp
27-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Your engine will run more oil from about 3 hours up till 9 or ten hours, Once then it will use very little.
My 75Hp trolls all day and does not need a spurt to fix it. I got mine programed to idle at 600 rpm or just below for trolling but would not want it any lower than that or it may stall with the 17inch prop.

I left the Xd50 oil till after the 10 double intake.

Good luck

Cloud_9
27-03-2005, 01:22 PM
tell the dealer to fix the dam thing
have had lots to do with e-tecs and only hear 1 with problem it wouldn't start. replaced the computer fixed the problem.
sounds like the dealership may not be up to par on the goings on within the etec's
if it has a hicup the computer records it and the machanic should see it on his screen on the workshop computer.
i love the etecs i think yours has a slit problem that should be sorted out to give you a trouble free running engine.

Cheers Cloud 9

WAfarmer
27-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I feel your right cloud_9 I thought the new injected 2 strokes wouldn't miss a beat.
I live a long way from the water, left the boat with the dealer for a month so hoped it was right as I haven't seen another one running to know what to expect.
I will be moving near to the water in the next 6 months.
In the meantime I will be modifying the boat and trailer

Thanks for the replies

A G

defa
31-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I have a 50 etec on a 4.55 top ender, New in Jan 05 and have done 40hrs and the oil change over at 10 hrs.
Orginanally it missed when accelerating through 2800 ( approx change over) but now it gives the occasional small miss at the top end (5800rpm and after 20-30min running), the dealer has been very helpfull, but you only get it going flat out (28-30kts) on the rivers, very hard for them to test, It is not a consistant miss, rather a smooth tiny rpm fluctuation that you feel, rather than hear on the older 2 strokes, They tried new plugs last time and I have not had it flat out on smooth water since, (2 trips) and I'm not sure weather or not it fixed it, due to the sea state. It performs fantastic ;D other than that, with great fuel economy. I am sure if it continues the local dealer will continue with the excellent trouble shooting and support. :D They are waiting from Bombardier to find out what rpm the eletronic rpm limiter is set too ???, as they know it is some wear about 6000 rpm on the 50hp
Hope this gives you more info!