PDA

View Full Version : LIVE BAIT WELL

youngfisho
10-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I have nearly completed the conversion of my transom seat into a live bait well. Pretty simple really, just time consuming. Anyone with a smaller 15 foot boat will know how little space there is and having a 20 litre bucket on the floor whilst cheap is not an ideal way to store live bait. All I did was cut up some ply to shape and simply glass in the ply, after a few strips more of fibreglass and some flow coat should see it look pretty good. Drilling a hole in the bottom and adding a bung means I can drain the tank at the end of the day and a small spillway will assist in maintaining the level in the tank. I have an externally mounted bilge pump 360gph attached to a stainless pickup. which flows water when the boat does 10 knots plus. The filler hose is attached to the rail so that if water is pouring in to fast just simply throw it over board. Once completed I will be able to keep my live baits fresh for when I head to four beacons for some cobia fishing. Will post some pictures when its nearly finished.

youngfisho
10-03-2005, 03:00 PM
ANOTHER PHOTO

youngfisho
10-03-2005, 03:05 PM
MY FUEL FILTER JUST FITTED, with new fuel lines should fix the air in the fuel line I've been troubled with. I had 10 mm line with 8mm fittings, didn't really work well. Hopefully this should sort things out and ensure I am getting clean fuel to my motor.

redspeckle
11-03-2005, 06:17 AM
youngfisho well done on a live bait tank set up their i give you [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]on it no one else will
you have increase your chances in hook up rates now
i just recntly made up live bait tank myself ,i post some photo's on it in this topic
Mitch Go [smiley=cowboy.gif]in 2005

finga64
11-03-2005, 06:55 AM
that's thinking outside the square!!
Well done
;D
nice rail and step too, was it custom made??

jimbo59
12-03-2005, 12:25 PM
it also doubles up as an outside dunny ;D

youngfisho
12-03-2005, 01:23 PM
rails were on the boat when I bought it. Would double as a toilet,however I clean enough shit at work to be cleaning up others shit. Next purchase will be a bait board. Was looking at a berbuda bait board with rod holders either side, but I think i'll settle on the standard board without the rod holders. its a choice of 75 dollars or 190 dollars, and besides I have enough rod holders. Just need a decent rocket launcher, any one make them for a reasonable price.

youngfisho
30-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Have nearly completed my live bait tank, spent the easter break just adding fibreglass to reenforce it and help keep it water proof. have a mate who's son works for Riviera and he is going to help finnish of the flow coat. will post some pictures of the finished product. And hopefully when it is all completed some live bait caught fish. My aim is to catch some decent snapper over winter time.

fingers crossed

steve_n
01-04-2005, 01:56 PM
How do you attach the pump to the stainless pickup. I've just bought one and looks like I'll have to use a couple of very small self tappers straight into the base of the pump. Is this correct??
Steve

whichway
02-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Yes I had that pump set up on my old boat.

From memory, I think that you can take the inside out of the pump and drill through the white housing, in which case you can get a little nut and bolt with washers to spread the load. I always prefer to use that way of fixing rather than self tappers.

Just be aware that even with the pump off you will get a fair flow of water up the line when you are going along. One time I went out and the water from the live bait tank was overflowing into the boat (the pump was off, but we went for a long run with overflow blocked off for some reason). Ended up with about 200 litres of water in the back of the boat so I got to test out the bilge pump that day as well.

Best of luck

Whichway