PDA

View Full Version : old fuel

ROOted
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Hello all, i just wish to let you know U L P has a storage life of 3 months, after that the octane is so low motors PING , and lack power. I work in a wreckers & i have found after 5-6 months the fuel smells like turps in the tank. The electric pump in modern cars is coated in varnish like stuff & siezed.
Corosion in tanks common place and carbys full of white powder is hard to fix. I sent a e-mail to F&B mag on this issue and they are looking into it over the last 3 months. I just think that the gen in the shed shuld be checked OR firefighting pumps or What do we need once a year WHEN WE NEED them. Please have a look now.

dnej
03-04-2005, 06:06 AM
My research indicates, 45 to 60 days tops. depending on how the fuel is stored. Personally , I would 't go to 90 days, its not worth the risk.
Past posters, actually disgard their fuel , not used , after each trip. That sure takes care of it.
That varnish is hard to remove , especially from carbies, and fuel tanks. Sure makes a mess. Running out your carbies, makes for easier starting next time out.
David

Kerry
03-04-2005, 07:08 AM
The issue with old fuel and limited life isn't something new and has been a problem for at least the past 10 years (esepcially where outboards are concerned) and all the ducking and diving over the issue from oil companies and others maybe at last has run it's course and finally there might be some forth comming answers.

I doubt the response will surprise some at all.

Cheers, Kerry.