PDA

View Full Version : towing a boat over long distance

troy
25-03-2005, 01:40 PM
i might be towing a boat from brisbane to townsville-about 1300 klms.
how much time would you fellas recommend and would stone chips be an issue
thanks troy
how would you tackle the trip

Volvo
26-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Just make sure your tyres are fairly good...Rememeber selling a 21fter some time back and its new home was Bundaberg..
Got as far as Mirriamvale(70k's down the road) and threw the tread off every tyre..
Had to be left the a wee while while a new set of treads was brought back for a changeover..
Cheers

troy
26-03-2005, 03:55 AM
hi
volvo
the whole rig will be brand new so the tyres should not be a problem.
although remember going to brisbane years ago and had brand new tyres fitted and blew two of them on the marlbough stretch.
thanks
troy

steve_n
26-03-2005, 04:15 AM
If your tyres and bearings are good thats the main thing but it pays to carry a few spare globes and check your lights every now and then. I towed a boat from Melbourne to Brisbane a few years ago and arrived to find all the festoon type bulbs had rattled loose and smashed in the lenses :o :o
Unless your boat is really going to slow you down the trip shouldn't take much longer than usual, allow two days. Stone chps along there shouldnt really be a worry. if I was towing a fibreglass boat I might consider it though.

Volvo
26-03-2005, 05:05 AM
:-[Troy, my appologies i should have said the Boat got as far as Bennaraby not Mirriamvale(which is less distance by the way) before the tyres let go, but doe'snt matter as main point was about the tyres anyway..
Dont think i need say to also check the that the tightness of wheel bearings is also important prevent drag and use up more fuel..ie; not too much slop in the wheels..
Did a trip from Biloela to Rosalyn bay once towin a 16fter full of camping gear and near took halfe a day to do the trip and near three fill ups in fuel lol..Couldnt work out why till i checked the play in the wheels lol..
New set of bearings for the return trip lol...
But ya live n ya learn ey??..

troy
26-03-2005, 07:07 AM
steve n
it will be a fibreglass boat and the roads the furter you get up north are not real smart .
that is why i am worried about stone chips.
cheers
troy

Fed
26-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Two other things I'd check because it's brand new.
1) Trailer/boat balance, you don't want to get going only to find out the rig starts swaying.
2) Make sure the trailer is adjusted to suit the hull, you don't want to arrive and find your hull damaged.

PinHead
26-03-2005, 07:48 AM
One of 2 things can happen:
1. Everything will go smoothly and it will be a quick effortless trip

or

2. Murphy's Law will click in and everything goes to the pack.

There is a risk of damage to both boat and tow vehicle. I know what I would be doing..putting the boat and trailer on the back of a truck..end of any potential problems that way...or even on the rail could be easier.

basserman
26-03-2005, 08:34 AM
some sort of cloth attacher to the bow setion of the boat should sort the stone chps out just make sure it woun't blow off so it will take some time fitting it so it woun't

troy
26-03-2005, 12:37 PM
pinhead
i agree with you i would prefer to freight it but it is about 1800.00.
cheers
troy

PinHead
26-03-2005, 01:08 PM
pinhead
i agree with you i would prefer to freight it but it is about 1800.00.
cheers
troy

That is only about $1.39 per K...pretty cheap in my books

Black_Jack
26-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Mudflaps on your trailer will go a long way in stopping some of the stone chip

i have found them worth while

seabug
26-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi Troy
I have found that by fitting large mudflaps to my 80 series I have stopped nearly all front damage on our caravan

Fitted them front and back,
To about 2-3inches from the ground
largest ones I could get from a trailer parts supplier
Regards
Seabug

Sportfish_5
26-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Troy - you need to get your hands on some of the white sticky wrap they put on the front of new cars when they road freight them around. Maybe someone here knows a trucky that may put you on the right path to pick some up. The dealer you are buying the boat from should be able to help you anyway I would think.

So - did you buy a Cruisecraft ????

Cheers

Greg

troy
27-03-2005, 02:27 AM
greg.
i definately will be buying a cruise craft hopefully next week.
just waiting on the sale of my boat to be finalised.
i am still undecided between the 625 explorer and the outsider
do you have any thoughts on this.
thanks
troy

Heath
30-03-2005, 06:26 AM
Same Hull, just different cabin setup.

If you want the boat more as a fishing machine go the Explorer.

If it more for the family then the Outsider would be better option.

whiteman
30-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Troy

Towed my Quinnie SYD/TSV when I moved up this way. No problems. Roads are actually better north - flatter and less traffic. Just make sure you've got a shifter and a couple of plastic ties handy as you check bolts at each fuel stop. My number plate nearly rattled off and a couple of nuts were getting a bit loose. I had new tyres then which have since blown (2 in one day). When I tow the boat any sort of distance I carry a tyre jack to make life easy. Get unnecessary weight out of the boat - like fuel. Have a couple of days at Airlie Beach and have a look at Whitehaven in your own boat - great fun.

Spaniard_King
31-03-2005, 11:11 AM
here is my preperation for dirt tracks. I don't think you need to go this far for bitumen. Notice the thin ply inside the mud guards.

Garry

Spaniard_King
31-03-2005, 11:13 AM
This was a 1000klm trip (one way) with 100klm of dirt at the end

Spaniard_King
31-03-2005, 11:14 AM
last one

dfox
31-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Troy- ive been towing boats from brisbane to innisfail at least once and sometime twice every year for the last 14 years. The early boats were all fairly large plate boats and more resently the cat. I always leave and travel mostly at night.(avoids the crowds and is much cooler) Stone chips have never been a problem but the boat usually ends up covered in dead bugs.
I like to travel at 90-95kph. With the boat straped down proply spare tyres and bearings its no different towing a boat there then the hundreds of caravans that you'll pass or travel with. Taking turns driving it takes us 20 hours with rest stops...foxy

troy
31-03-2005, 12:20 PM
thanks foxy
that is about the hours i had worked on only that being by my self including the cook i will probably do it staying over one night .
like stay in rocky one night.
would not trust the cook to give me a break in driving i want to be around to use my boat.
cheers
troy

Jack_Lives_Here
31-03-2005, 02:49 PM
100% on foxy's reply. Just did Brissy to Lucinda and back at end of Feb again - the roads are better than down here. Traveling at night to avoid the caravans is a big plus.
How long is the trip - depends on how many stops you want / need to make. I like to get where I'm going - do it in around 16 - 17 hours with 3 drivers but that does not leave many comfort stops. ;D

Dignity
31-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Hope you have a good trip Troy. I am planning on taking my 20foot Allison up in September (have a mate at RollingStone)and was wondering much the same thing as you. I guess it's like Foxy said, caravans are doing it all the time and a boat should not be any different - makes me feel a little easier.

Have good trip and congrats on your new boat when you get it.

Bosunsmate
31-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Main thing to remember is the old adage;

Slow and steady wins the race

Would benefit you to have a chat to the local panel beaters or transport companies about some self adhesive protective film (same as on new cars being delivered).

In regards to bearings, the smaller the wheel size the more heat will be generated. I have a 3.6m f/glass with 10" wheels, as a rule I travel at no more than 90kph and stop every couple of hours max, besides being a break for me it gives the bearings chance to cool a bit.

After 15 years in the military towing everything from ultra-lightweight trailers to c130 aircraft I can't stress strongly enough - Check the bearings every chance you get, if they get fairly hot (too hot to touch) there is a fair chance that they are drying out or are tightening up (they should'nt but it has happened) and this could lead to a catastrophic failure of the trailer.

Whatever you do - Have a safe and enjoyable trip......drop me a pm when you get here in Townsville.....

troy
02-04-2005, 01:20 PM
jacklivesherewhen you say the roads are better domn there than here.
what roads are you talkink about.
i have not drove to brisbane for a couple of years now and i always found that from mackay onwards the roads improved dramatically.
anyway thanks for everyones advise .the trip is about 1300 klms.

i know i probably should freight it but if everything goes alright it is more money i can use on fitting the boat out.
cheers
troy

Bosunsmate
03-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Jackliveshere must not have been up this way since he sold his horse and cart....... ;D
We have sealed roads here now...... ;D

jimbo59
03-04-2005, 04:56 PM
troy i would fit a set of bearing buddies,while your at it check the amount of grease, it might be a friday trailer,buy another set of bearings just in case and pull over every 100 kays or so and wrap your hand around the bearingbudi if its hot you got problems.

have a safe trip brother.