PDA

View Full Version : Combo vs standalone VHF/GPS/Sounder

25_ponies
03-04-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm just working out the electronics setup for the new boat and trying to figure out what I should get as a combo and what should be standalone. Looking at the specs of the various pieces of equipment from the major players, it seems like the best option for the specs I want is 3 discrete systems with a link between the GPS and the VHF (for DSC). I can sorta understand why having a combo GPS/Sounder would be useful, but does anyone actually use these units in the combo way ?

Does anyone have any good/bad experiences trying to interface various manufacturers equipment with NMEA ?

Kerry, I'd like to hear your views on this :)

Cheers,

Ponies.

mackmauler
03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
seperate units always for me, shit fails and you want something working at least imo.

propdinger
03-04-2005, 12:39 PM
i have a combo unit and at a recent trip to fraser it stopped working nnow lucky it was coming in on the last trip so no real worry. i would never go a combo unit again cause in this case the gps played up and i couldnt use the soundar either so it was a $1800 unit doing sh!t on the dash. it was a very easy fix all i had to do was load a update into the machine and all was fixed but i couldnt do this in the bush.
Went to bias and they got the updated patch for the machine for me at NO charge so least it was a good out come but i would never go for a combo again.

i must say its running like a beauti now (the problem was cmap nt+ card system was the fault not the raymarine unit)

jeff
one who will never buy another combo :-X :-/

Kerry
03-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Combo's? good as a backup but for mine separate GPS (plotter), Sounder and if the budget allows also a combo (straight GPS/sounder) of some sort as a backup.

NMEA? no problems interfacing this type of typical setup.

Cheers, Kerry.

whichway
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I've got my old handheld Garmin GPS, combo plotter / sounder and old colour sounder.

When I go out with the family (not serious fishing), just use the combo only mostly

When fishing, everything is on. Have 100% backup for both GPS and sounder.

This all happened because I had the handheld GPS and colour sounder on the boat when I got it and I wanted a chartplotter. So I bought the combo chartplotter for not much more than the plotter only unit.

Using the chartplotter in combo mode is not as good as the separate units.

Works well for me

Whichway

Craigo
04-04-2005, 03:19 PM
I've had a Lowrance combo now for abot 3 months, took a bit to get used to but I find it is now great. The beauty is they are so configurable.

I use the map to get where I want to go, I have set it to display depth up in the corner. When I get close flick over to sounder and have it set to display the direction arrow and distance up in the corner. You can even have 3 sizes you can have your overlay data in. I have found these modes better than splitting the screen which is another option.

You can download a demo onto your PC from the Lowrance site and see if it suits you. Everyone has different needs but this suits me, I have to admit there was a time there when I first got it I thought it was a mistake but now I know the unit back to front I am rapped in it

Cheers