PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Motor Wings

SPIKER
01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Hi all, I am new to Ausfish and have a few questions - firstly bolt on wings 'stingray' etc. I have just purchased another seconhand boat - 1990 Seafarer Viking with 90hp 2st OMC. My previous boat - Seafarer VSea with 60hp 2st OMC had a wing on the motor and seemed to work well being that the 60 was probably minimum for the hull. Are they worth buying?

Cheech
01-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Spiker,

Cannot really say as I am no expert in the subject. But I would just say that usually you add something (or remove it) for a specific reason.

Do you have a problem that you are thinking the foil will fix?

I actually removed one to fix a problem with my current boat, but had one on my previous boat as it assisted fixing a problem.

Cheech

basserman
01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
yeh they are no good unless you really need to up out of the hole actoin or to aid with venting while turning (like alot of flat bottom boats will do)
personly i haven't got one on my southwind as it doesn't need it but i have one on the smaller v nose tinny as it needed it with a 25 for both of the above ;)

so test the boat out first and unless it really seems sluggish of the mark or your venting while turning slightly (not sharp with motor trimmed out nothing will stop that)
(venting is what happens when you either trim out to far or turn and the motor seems to over rev and you lose speed/traction)

Bosunsmate
02-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Have a 3.6m f/glass seaker with OMC 25hp 2st with tiller control and seating on the rear stbd side so the boat is stern heavy even with someone in the fwd/port seat.

The ob leg had wings fitted when I bought it, and it gets up on the plain fairly easily (about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle) with the wings on.

I took the wings off for a couple of trips to see what difference it makes and found that it's harder to get her up on the plain (about 1/ to 3/4 throttle), she tends to ride bow high regardless of speed, needless to say they are back on, and they're staying on.

SPIKER
03-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks Cheech, Basserman & Bosunsmate for your input, my understanding of these foils is that they force the boat onto the plane quicker and therefore are good as suggested for hole shot. Some people say they are good for trolling apps and can help with fuel ecconomy when travelling slow (boat on plane a lower speeds), so would they help when having to travel slow in rough water by keeping the boat more stable?.

nisrol
03-04-2005, 12:51 PM
spiker
I have a 6.1 mtr pongrass with a gullwing on the outboard
i find it good gets up on the plane and does not take a great deal of power to do so ;)

cheers andy

skippa
03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
G'Day Spiker,

I've got a Haines V17R with 115 2s Yammie (avator). When I bought it, it didn't have a foil, but I 've put one on. SE sport.

I don't need it for 'getting out of the hole', but the old haines is narrow in the bum and it used to drop off the plane quickly. Now she will plane at about 12 knts; no use having a legend hull if you can't get that Deep Vee working for ya. I figure when it gets sloppy, that's when you need it the most.

I appreciate the ride of the DV, and the economy I guess is just a bonus.

Cheers,
Tony 8)
PS Probably lost only 2-3 mph top speed and you'll find some people love 'em some hate 'em.

familyman
04-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey Spiker ,
Get a permatrim foil if you have low speed planing problems ie12 - 15 knots .They're the go.And you can step on them when getting into the boat.I've had 2 on past boats and one on my present and would not be without it! ;D
cheers jon

familyman
04-04-2005, 06:06 PM
A pic

finga64
05-04-2005, 03:03 AM
If someone is looking for a cheap peramtrim, it may be picked up here ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32630&item=4540703225&rd=1
Good luck :)

Bosunsmate
05-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Hey familyman, whats the reasoning for the transom additions/extentions in the pic...