PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new boat combination

stunnedmullet
05-04-2005, 08:53 AM
I thought I would take the opportunity to get some feedback from the many experienced fishos out there.
I am considering purchasing a rig primarily for fishing the estuaries. It would have people in it that have not spent a great deal of time in boats as well therefore it needs stability.
As a result I am looking closely at a 420 Quintrex explorer v nosed punt matched to a 30hp Yamaha(not oil injected)
I was hoping for feedback about this particular rig.
Cheers

craigie
05-04-2005, 09:40 AM
If used whithin smooth waters, it should prove to be an excellent combination.

Would stick to about 3 adults for such a craft.

a 30hp should perform quite well with 2 or 3 people on board.

Would recomend a floor be placed through the boat for extra comfort.

Back rest fold down seats are a hand inclusion.

Cheers
Craigie.

stunnedmullet
05-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks Craigie
Would look at putting in a casting platform only, extruded side rails and painted as well. Depends on how much more $ I can afford.

Stunned mullet

cooky
05-04-2005, 11:44 AM
for that size craft I'd recommend a 100+ 2 stroke. This way I'll happily come with you and of course I'll drive ;)

I'd like to see a recliner chair, fridge, and stereo system with 15' subwoofer too. I will however be happy with a bean bag if the recliner is out of the question.

basserman
05-04-2005, 01:24 PM
i have the little brother
the 385 expolrer trophy and the hull is just great but does hit hard in a bit of chop
however i still like this shape over the hornets i have a 25 on mine but would like it more if it had a 30 and if you went the throphy style (full floors and all the bells) i would then go for a 40hp however a 30ph would be more than enoght for a open style ;)
just make sure you go over the boat carfuly before handing over the $$$ as mine came with some wealding missing and the dealer didn't want to hear about it however quintrex did have it fixed within a few days no questions asked :D

stunnedmullet
06-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Thanks Basserman
Did look hard at the 385 but may just be a bit restrictive around the townsville area. That bit bigger boat gives you the option to poke your head out a creek if the weather is okay and hit the close shoals. I will heed your words and closely scrutinise any boat I buy. Still trying to decide on an engine. Heard very mixed reports about johnsons and evinrudes around the 30hp mark. This is why I am looking at a yammy. Any thoughts???

basserman
06-04-2005, 03:26 PM
i have a merc and love suzikis but would never nock a yamaha as they are a great motor and there is a good resone the a the number one motor in australia and that is because they are GOOD!
i was the same as you but i was thinking hard about the 420 and ended with the 385 as their aren't as many bites down here and it is more just for the rivers both salt and freash but i have taken it outside to the close reefs around port maquarie when the seas are flat and it handle fine