PDA

View Full Version : Mecury Saltwater 90 - hard to start

andrew_t
30-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I have a been having trouble starting my mecury 90 (2004 model)lately. Each time I have to place the idle half way up and then keep turning the motor over for upto 15 seconds two or three times before it starts. [smiley=furious.gif]

The only prep I do is to make sure there is fuel in the bulb, and eenough oil, I donot use the choke.

Do you think it maybe still be flooding??

Could it because the engine is cold?

Or is there something else??

jugs
30-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Our 2003 Merc 90 Saltwater has done nearly 200 hours since fitted end Dec, 2003 and runs like a dream! We had a few hassles early on- one was that the fuel bulb went soft between attempts to start. This is caused by an airleak in the fuel line.
While you may not think you are using the choke, because it is on the key, it is easy to use choke without realising (we've done that too, in the early days!) These are the most likely causes. Other possibilities are water in fuel (do you have a water separation filter? (we do) especially important with under floor fuel tanks?) or crappy fuel.
Good luck!

cuda
30-03-2005, 03:47 PM
i have the same motor and find it a little hard to start at times, it has been like that since new
i do use the choke at times but it still takes a while for it to fire up but not as long as yours

Cheech
30-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Andrew,

Is there a particular reason you are not using the choke? I usually press it in every start.

Hard to comment as I have not picked up if your problem is when it is cold, hot, or just always.

Do you have the same problem when you try to start it with the muffs on? If not then try this experiment. Next time, tilt your motor up a bit and then give it a go.

Let us know how it goes.

If no,,,,,, then I have no idea.

Cheech

NQCairns
31-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Following a direction from Cheeches comment about muffs, do you know the compression of each cyl? A motor that is low on compression will start easily on muffs due to lower exhaust backpressure but struggle when starting on the water from cold usually ok when warmed.

Could be a few things any or all working to cause your problem but low comp WILL cause the problem!! Luckily it is also the easiest to check and eliminate first up before chaseing around the tuning/mainenance side. cheers nq

PS another thoght is do you have a 650+cca battery? there is no substitute for a battery that can spin an outboard fast enough to kick.

reScuE_RanGEr
31-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey
I agree with Cheech. Use the choke!!
I had a 2003 140hp Merc which was an awesome engine, but would never start cold without choke and some revs.

Steve

andrew_t
31-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Andrew,

Is there a particular reason you are not using the choke? I usually press it in every start.

Hard to comment as I have not picked up if your problem is when it is cold, hot, or just always.

Do you have the same problem when you try to start it with the muffs on? If not then try this experiment. Next time, tilt your motor up a bit and then give it a go.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheech

Cheech,

Yeah, the problem is normally when it is cold.

The reason for not using the choke is that we thought we must have been flooding it.....

it is normally easier to start with the muffs on but that is also after it has been running for a while.

It is dur for service so I am going to talk to the mechanic see what his thoughts are as well...see if he can start it straight up??? [smiley=worried2.gif]

andrew_t
31-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Andrew,

Let us know how it goes.

Cheech

Cheech,

Yeah, the problem is normally when it is cold.

The reason for not using the choke is that we thought we must have been flooding it.....

it is normally easier to start with the muffs on but that is also after it has been running for a while.

It is dur for service so I am going to talk to the mechanic see what his thoughts are as well...see if he can start it straight up??? [smiley=worried2.gif]

andrew_t
31-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Following a direction from Cheeches comment about muffs, do you know the compression of each cyl? A motor that is low on compression will start easily on muffs due to lower exhaust backpressure but struggle when starting on the water from cold usually ok when warmed.

Could be a few things any or all working to cause your problem but low comp WILL cause the problem!! Luckily it is also the easiest to check and eliminate first up before chaseing around the tuning/mainenance side. cheers nq

PS another thoght is do you have a 650+cca battery? there is no substitute for a battery that can spin an outboard fast enough to kick.

nqcairns,

compression of the cyl I will as the mechanic when I take it for its 50 hour service.....

I am quite sure the battery is 650+

thanks for the tips [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

andrew_t
31-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey
I agree with Cheech. Use the choke!!
I had a 2003 140hp Merc which was an awesome engine, but would never start cold without choke and some revs.

Steve

Steve,

would you get it basically to start first go? Or would you have to give it a couple of foes ???

Robbo_Townsville
31-03-2005, 03:37 PM
I found my previous motor 115hp saltwater to be a pig sometimes to start. After watching the dealer start it on a service it was easy.

He turned the ignition on and counted to ten with the choke on. Then with a little fast idle turned the key and it started. I tried it and bingo. Smetimes you may have to crank it for a couple of seconds but seemed to work more often then not. But then there was this time at Cardwell that ......... oh well I did say more often than not.

skippa
31-03-2005, 04:08 PM
I've always found any 2 stroke will need choke to start when their cold. From my experience, whether it's a mower, whippersnipper or outboard they always wanted some choke.

I've got a 115hp Yammie saltwater, great motor, but will not start cold without being choked. When she's warm different story, first turn of the key and she fires up.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

reScuE_RanGEr
31-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Andrew
Yea generally if i gave it some revs and used the choke she would at least fire first go if not start. If it didn't start it would definitely go 2nd turn and I figure that was probably coz I was a little lazy pumping the fuel.

Steve

Cheech
31-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Andrew, the reason for my questions is that I had it in my head that an outboard would start a certain way (based on the outbords I had owned). Then my latest boat turned out to be a dog to start. Have had times it just would not start.

Anyway, I then started to lift the idle lever (did not need it on other boats) and improved my start ratio.

Still not the greatest, but better.

But sometimes it just will not want to start. Was out last week in this situation and the deckie said, try changing the angle of the motor and give it a go. Well,,, after 50 cranks with no luck, started first go when tilted in.

What this tells me is to not close off to ideas.

Cheech

cooky
01-04-2005, 04:24 AM
i've got a 115hp merc saltwater 2001 model with around 230hrs and I'm not experienced (first boat), but my motor has started the first instant I turn the key since owning it (over months). Even on muffs last week after not running for 4-5wks.
I have always lift the idle lever around half way and press the choke in when turning key. Motor fires immediately and then I'll leave for a few seconds before putting idle lever down to normal idle setting.
The only time it doesn't is after I troll for awhile and then anchor (happened to me once or twice - even when trolling) - check the fuel pump bulb and usually gone soft - need to pump it again. My first trip to the reef I was a bit worried when I lost power suddenly when trying to start the motor - loose battery connection - this managed to flood the motor - so took say 20sec (seemed like hours) for it to start then.

blaze
01-04-2005, 04:32 AM
115 merc
when I first start on the trailer at the ramp, trim motor so the cav plate is just under water, lift fast idle lever about 1/4 of travel, push key in to activate choke and turn motor and it start first time even after a fortnight. Let the motor warm up while slowly pushing the fast idle lever down. Some times it does stop but start straight away again without further use of the choke.
During the day if I do a long drift for a few hours I may need to use the choke again but this is unussual
cheers
blaze

cyclone
05-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Andrew I have the same motor and yes they can be hard to start cold if you don't choke them. Herei s my method lift the fast idle lever and turn the key with choke pressed in it will usually fire first go if it dosn't have a second atempt without choke but if it dosn't fire straight up straight give the choke a stab and it will jump into life.
Even if the boat has been at anchor during the day for a while I apply the choke and it bursts into life very quickly, don't be scared to use the choke on this motor.

Black_Rat
05-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Andrew have got the same motor (2004 Saltwater Series 90 Merc) and when I first got it was a real pig to start >:( & dam near sent one battery flat trying to start it one day. It would start but would seem to be barley kicking over. After its first 10 hr service never had a problem since (motor run/used at least once a fortnight). I uslually prime the motor once the boat is in the water and motor trimed down, turn over the motor with the choke on ( key pushed in ) for 5 secs and then give it a couple of quick turns of the key without the choke 1 sec at a time and usually fires on the second or third attempt. ;) Hope this help otherwise speak to the mechanic doing the service ;)
Damo

andrew_t
06-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone,

the choke is they key..so speak!!

Using the choke as most of you described made it very easy to start.