PDA

View Full Version : To Dunk,,, or not to Dunk.

Cheech
07-04-2005, 04:35 PM
This is part 4 of the series.....

Along the way with this great Bearing discusion, a couple of people have mentioned submersing the trailer, and how this can damage the bearings because of the heat change sucking in the water.

Others have said that they dunk because they have to as the trailer is just not in enough to retrieve the boat.

I am a dunker.... But this has got me thinking,,,, if the main dunking problem is with heat during launching, and the main dunking requirement is due to retrieving,,,, then why not combine the 2 for the best advantage [smiley=idea.gif]

Why not launch without dunking. Stop reversing just before the hubs go under. That way you will not have the heat problem sucking water in. And when you come to retrieve, dunk as usual and this should not have any impact on the bearings as the hubs will be cold at that time.

What I have noticed is that launching just does not need the same water depth as retrieving does. I had just never considered altering what I do at launch compared to retrieve.

Is this one of those simple solutions that is under our nose and just gets missed?

So,,, what do you all think?

By the way, about a month ago I took out all my centre rollers and greased the shafts and the inside of the rubber. The difference is absolutely amazing. Previously I had to use a fair bit of grunt to push the boat off the trailer till it was about half in. (less for steep ramps) Now, All I have to do is give it an initial push to break inertia, and then it just slides all the way off with no assistance. If anyone has any problems with getting a boat on or off, grease the centre rollers. It really makes a huge difference.

So, what do you think?

Cheech

blaze
07-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Seems Like I am chasing you about Cheech
I dunk,
I am only 500m from my normal ramp, 15k from the other I use. Then when I go to St helens, 5hrs drive, I dont put the boat in the water that day cause I am to F***ed.
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
07-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Cheech sometimes I think you think to much.LOL
Also "Inertia" I think?

Cheech
07-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeh, I knew it was wrong. Changed the c to an s and back and it still looked wrong, but could not be bothered looking in the dictionary. Have modified the post.

But is it a good idea??

mackmauler
07-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Cheech, thats what I do, bearings still seem to go rusty after a good yrs use, still I think its best to keep them out of water when possible and after a tough days fishn be stuffed if ill keep em dry.

Spaniard_King
07-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I would have to say my bearings would be under water each time my trailer goes into the wateR

Perrils of owning a largish boat I suppose 8)

Garry

mako_5.2
07-04-2005, 05:25 PM
I manage to get my 17' in and out without putting the bearings in the water, having said that I am in the middle of converting it to dual axle and am not sure if I will be still able to do this. I had to put the rear axle further back and was expecting to have to at least wet the rear bearings. Should find out if it will be a problem next week. Following previous threads on b/buddies with interest as I thought this was my answer, not so sure now and I don't want to join the broken trailer brigade on the highway.

Cheers

DAVE_S
07-04-2005, 06:01 PM
hi cheech that is a good idea dunk cold no dunk hot that idea for your center rolls very good if you got a mate with a lathe next time you take the shaft out get him to drill ahole up the guts and put a grease nipple in it did this to my cat trailer my be one day if i become your mate i can do this for you new to ausfish dave

Kerry
07-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Some boats/trailers one could do that, others are simply impossible.

Cheers, Kerry.

SeaSaw
07-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I drive on and off the trailer. I would be worried about the motor hitting the ramp on the launch if I didn't dunk the bearings. Bearings are cheaper than props to replace. ;)

Mark

mako_5.2
07-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Your boat it a lot bigger than mine . I also winch it off just in case I misjudge depth. You see a lot of people that put the trailer in to the top of the guards and just about float them off just to launch a 10' dinghy. Have seen the other extreme at Munna point, a group of new boaties (had to be) with a 6m quinnie bow rider backed down until the motor was at the water line and pushed it off the trailer. Did not float on sand so they winched it back on to the trailer and nearly put it in up to the towball next time.

Mr__Bean
07-04-2005, 11:24 PM
I have to dunk due to size of boat and prop clearance but wish I could leave as much as possible out of the saltwater (acid).

I also agree that roller care is important but beware of greasing rubber rollers. Rubber rollers are not grease and oil resistant and will deteriorate rapidly if sitting in normal grease.

If they are the plastic type they should be fine, but if they are the rubber ones you really should use a rubber grease or just use soap in there.

Food for thought.

- Bean

finga64
08-04-2005, 03:07 AM
me, the only thing I dunk are scotch fingers. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
But I'm lucky (or unlucky depending on view point), my boats aren't big enough to dunk the trailer.(little one - 3.75m & bigger one 5m)
I also winch both boats off the trailer as well just in case of unseen rock or log or whatever. Got into that habit after lauching the little boat into Lesley dam at Warwick and smashed the transducer on a log :-[
But if it feels good, do it ;D

nonibbles
08-04-2005, 05:17 AM
"Got into that habit after lauching the little boat into Lesley dam at Warwick and smashed the transducer on a log
But if it feels good, do it"

Nah, can't imagine that feeling good at all. ;)

finga64
08-04-2005, 10:44 AM
No nonibles ;)
smashing the bl--dy transducer don't feel good. Made me quite ill actually. It was only 4 or 5 weeks old at the time. :-/

If it feels good to dunk the trailer, then dunk. If not don't.

I did some work on the little old trailer before easter and found a date stamp. 12/5/1970
That's what happens when you don't dunk. ;D
P.S. I have 2*2 leaf springs to give away if anybody wants them. A bit rusty but still usable. I put some galv. ones in.
;D

basserman
08-04-2005, 11:19 AM
well i don't dunk the tinny as there is no need but for the southwind i need to go up to about 3/4 on the wheels
never had a problem yet as long as you wash then down and spary them each time ;D

Cheech
08-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Blaze,,, Have never seen anyone so passionate about not using buddies, and your comments either for or against are always appreciated. You seem to know a lot about trailers.

Good idea Dave. Should be able to drill it in the vice as it does not have to be straight, and only needs to go in about 70mm. Just need the right size thread cutter.

Had not thought about driving off. Yes, probably not a good idea unless testing shows that you have a lot of clearance. But in the case of HMAS Seasaw, probably not.

Looking forward to giving it a test run.

blaze
08-04-2005, 05:01 PM
I tend to get passionate about falsely marketed goods, hate oil addiatives too, If you think for yourself, quite often outside the square, then use a bit of common sense and good old fashion research it is often found that these things cant possible do as claimed.
Had a oil addative guy try to to my uncle (a pro Fisherman) that by putting x in his diesel his displacement hull vessel would go 10knts quicker, we all know a diesel is goverered and therefore there could not be a speed increase, not with standing it was a displacement hull which has a max rated speed.
Another company x idlers an engine at every opurtunity with no sump to prove how good there oil addative is, ask them if you can tweak the throttle.
Must I go on
Just reseach what you are buying and dont believe the sale rechtric
call me synical
but I do my best not letting people rip me off
cheers
blaze

Bosunsmate
09-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi blaze,

You obviously from the old school and practice the old adage........"Caviat Emptor" Let the buyer beware.......

I'm with you, so many products out there promise to do miracles, and so many of them are just gimics that cost more money in the long run....sales people often remind me of the old style insurance salesmen, promise the whole tree and deliver the seed...

Dignity
09-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I dunk, although would prefer not to. Cheech, greasing the shafts is great but spending 2 hours at a ramp adjusting the rollers is even better. I got mine to the stage where I would release the winch brake and the slightest push would have it moving if any part of the hull was in water. Most ramps that I use though require quite considerable dunking before the hull touches the briny. Since I have had the trailer rebuilt I haven't spent the time on it and it does take a bit of effort to move it. Guess I need to do a special event on a really bad weather weekend otherwise the temptation of going fishing once the boat hits the water has always taken pver.

Sam

getwet
10-04-2005, 08:13 AM
dont ajust the rollers too much
put new rollers and a new power winch on the trailer
the cluch on the winch and saftey rattled loose.
took the tie downs off the back and went to move onto the ramp
boat was left in the rigging lane .no need to dunk that day.

cheers mal

blaze
10-04-2005, 09:56 AM
ouch

Morlers
10-04-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't dunk. I back the trailer in to just below the axle then winch off and on. Don't have to worry about water ingress into bearings or lights for that matter. Boat is a 5.1m fibreglass Haines Hunter weighing around 1,000kg and it's easy enough to hand winch on (5:1 and 1:1 winch).

:) :)

Morlers