PDA

View Full Version : Removing Antifoul off hull

straycat
07-04-2005, 07:31 PM
I have a fibreglass carribean reef runner.
The previous owner had the hull antifouled which
now over the years looks like crap and I dont moor the boat.

So whats the easiest effective way of removing antifoul?
I dont fancy scraping/sanding such a big hull, has anyone used any other methods?

Also once its back to the gelcoat do I need to paint it?

Many thanks
Mel

Tracker
08-04-2005, 04:39 AM
straycat,
whichever way you go,its a shit :-X of a job.Last boat I did was a 27ft savage lancer(glass).ended up slinging boat up oncrane and sand blasting then cleanup and respray with sterling.great looking job BUT $$$$ :o.smaller bosats can be done with sandaes etc but gelcoat is hard not to damage.
if sanding find out what type of antifouling is on hull and wear protective breathing gear.some (all) antifoul is pretty deadly stuff.best of luck and have fun.
cheers ;D

finga64
08-04-2005, 04:12 PM
looks like it's time for the dust mask and sander :(

Bosunsmate
08-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Hi Mel,

Was involved in the Coast Guard here in Townsville for some time and remember the hassle we had when we had to clean the twin hulls and reapply anti-foulant on the main vessel from time to time. My trade is Occ Health and Safety, in the interest of you and your families safety please accept some advice, It may prevent illness/suffering and your hip pocket suffering a dramatic loss of $$$$......

1. # Some local councils have stringent control and disposal requirments for dust under the Environmental Protection Act....If you do the worng thing and someone complains about the dust you could be in strife and it could cost big big $$$$ in court......

2. # On yours and your families personal safety issue you need to make sure you get the right # #respirators for the job, the wrong type of filter will allow the dangerous dust through to the places your'e trying to protect and the couple of $$ you save may well be used on medical bills for the rest of your life....

Not trying to discourage your effort, just want to see you get it right from the start. If you need help with council info drop me a PM I'll be happy to help if I can.

Good luck in your efforts, post us some pics of the in progress and completed job if you can.

Regards
Graeme

Tracker
09-04-2005, 04:14 AM
2nd that. also be very very careful if you decide to burn off with torch.

reScuE_RanGEr
09-04-2005, 05:41 AM
I heard once that petrol gets it off ??

Steve

mini696
09-04-2005, 06:02 AM
Just put it in the water... The modern antifouls are so crap they'll wash off.

Mick

Tracker
09-04-2005, 12:58 PM
onya mick ;D that is untill you want it off :(

Cheech
09-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I have the same problem. The hull of my 5.5m glass boat had been antifouled by a previous owner. Why you would antifoul a trailer boat I have no idea...

Have looked at removing it, but just seems to be way too big and awkward so will put up with it for now.

But is anyone does come up with an easy answer, I am all ears.

Kerry
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Anti-fouled trailer boats, oh what a worry, so easy to do so damn difficult to undo. Don't envy the job ahead of you in anyway shape or form.

Before the sand blast option maybe see what's available in water blast (still won't totally clean it off) but whatever you use the gelcoat is going to be looking rather worse for wear.

Cheers, Kerry.

troy
09-04-2005, 03:42 PM
kerry says oh whAt a worry
only worry if kerry is behind you
troy

Kerry
09-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Troy, you must have been a little prick when you were a kid (probably still is) the real vindictive, spiteful little shit so unless you have something to say other than being a typical little bastard then you have no worries with anybody behind you, that is until you pull your head out you wouldn't hace a clue who was behind you.

So grow up junior your becoming rather obnoxious.

Cheech
09-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Troy, I will be the first to question Kerry or anyone else when they comment what I think may be inappropriate, or just not needed. But I fail to see why you posted at all. This is my boat that Kerry commented about, and I agree with him.

I do not get where you are coming from.

I also noticed you put up a post to Phil about deleting your thread. I actually did not open that thread. I resisted as I have just had enough of the crap that seems to have started on this site over the last few months, particularly from selected people. We just do not need it.

If you want a site to argue on, then bugger off..

This site is about fishing. If you want to talk about fishing, then by all means stay. If not, you are not wanted or needed here.

Ok, off my high horse now.

Cheech

straycat
09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the replies guys and the words of caution.
I understand the dangers of working with this stuff and I would like to avoid sanding.

The 4 years I have owned the boat I have been hoping it would come off with use but its not.

Tracker did sandblasting leave any dimples on the hull like orange peel or was it relatively smooth?

I have also found out that International marine paints has an antifoul stripper.
Has anyone used this?

My digital camera is in for repairs otherwise I would post some pictures.

Many thanks again
Mel

Brejen
09-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Straycat, The company, F.G.I, fibre glass international, here on the Gold Coast ( presume they are elsewhere) are extremely helpfull when it comes to Fibreglass and Fibreglass products. Have had them help me out on a few occasions now and can not fault them. They are usually only to happy to assist in any way that they can, even if it's only advice over the phone. May be worth asking them as they have everthing that's needed to do anything with glass and more.
Cheech I'd like to agree with you about your last comment :
"I have just had enough of the crap that seems to have started on this site over the last few months, particularly from selected people. We just do not need it.
Totally agree. Some act as thou they are still in nappies just proud that my kids are better behaved then some of these people that are actually older than I am, and should know better. I can't understand how some people will start a thread asking for comments etc. then when people tell their opinions especially those that are against them its all school boy stuff, I'd have to say why ask it in the first place. Without harping on the one certain thread ( and there's more as well) but how Australian did the damm thread end up. In my opion not at all. Sorry Don't usually like to reply negatively but when i saw Cheech's last just had to agree. Also sorry to straycat for hijacking his thread.
Brett

Mr__Bean
09-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Have no experience in this at all.

But wonder, does it soften at all with heat?

May be able to make some progress with a heat gun and scraper before sanding.

Some of the latest heat guns provide very intense localised heat.

- Bean

troy
10-04-2005, 04:18 AM
cheech i said that to get the bite out of kerry.
i do not believe i use bad language on this site yet i get accused off it.
now they can take a look at kerrys language.
did not mean to interupt cheech
i will take your advise and bugger off.
cheers
troy

Dignity
11-04-2005, 07:38 AM
straycat - looked at buying a boat about 2 years ago which had been antifouled - the original owners lived in a canal estate and sat in the water (now you know cheech) and died while overseas - the marine yard talked their son into selling the boat on a trailer

looked in to the cost and effort involved - there are a number of boatyards that do this sort of work - the ones I spoke to were at Doboy Creek - cost was about $100 per foot of boat - in my case $2000. From memory this didn't included a 2 pack respray of the bottom part of the hull but this part was relatively cheap as the hull would have been already prepared. Didn't go ahead with the purchase as there were other things wrong with the boat and at the end would have cost me nearly the equivalent of a new boat.

Cheers Sam

PinHead
11-04-2005, 02:25 PM
The EPA has some rather strict regualtions regarding this type of work..if sanding you require a containment and filtration device...the penalties if caught are quite expensive.
I would be paying someone who has the required equipment and premises to carry out these works.