PDA

View Full Version : foil installation

maccaril
12-04-2005, 04:19 AM
need help
i am attaching a foil to the motor and my question is this. after drilling the holes do i have to apply anything, silastic, oils, ect, to the cut surface prior to attaching the foil
i was wondering if this cut surface needs a protectant
thanks
rob

finga64
12-04-2005, 04:31 AM
mate, I give a coat of etch primer, then primer then a finish coat when I do mine, but some people would see that as extreme because the screws are going to take some paint of when I push them in.
If you drill the holes just before fitting I'd just put some good paint (cold gal.) around the hole and put the bolts in when the paint is still wet. It'll seal the aluminium and seal the gap between the aluminium and bolt at the same time. You can get some ready made preparations to do this job and I'm sure other people will soon tell you what they are.
If you use silicon make sure it's not the glazing one. It's acid based to eat into the glass and it corrodes aluminium like nothing else.
Good luck
Scott

Bosunsmate
12-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Try to get hold of some Zinc Chromate, apply it liberally around the exposed metal areas just before you put the screws/bolts in place. This stuff will provide both a surface protectant and dissimilar metals protection to all exposed metal surfaces, it can be painted over with a top coat if desired.

It is used on aircraft when fitting external fittings and there is the possibility of dissimilar metal contact (eg.. aluminium vs mild steel etc).

Fisher_Boats
12-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Rob,

Zinc Chromate and then Duralac Paste on the bolts ,nuts and washers.

Cheers Col