PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a Hull

Huntsman
06-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi There,

I have recently bought another boat, and its an old huntsman hull. Looks very similar to a bertram. its a 6.22m fibreglass half cabin. I presume its an early '80s model if not older :)
Some pictures of the boat are attached

I would like to know if anyone can give me more details about the hull/manufacturer.. i.e. what year it was built etc....

Since it was pre '96 the HIN number is of no use as the boat authority has no proper record of it...

Apparently it might not be the Huntsman brand that is currently situated in New Zealand, but was actually based in Australia and now has gone bust.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

X-Plicit
06-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Nice boat...
Not sure what year it might be from...
Maybe someone else on here can help

Big_Kev
06-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I think I saw that boat for sale somewhere.

noluck
06-04-2005, 06:11 PM
friend of my has same boat just runer and his from memori is 85 and bild in vic. i will found out for u he pay someone from inshurence to cam out to find out how much it is wored so he can insh. i think cam out about $ 5,5 (nice boat)
cheers

Brett_Hoskin
06-04-2005, 07:09 PM
This boat looks almost exactly the same as a 20 ft Bertram except for the outboard.I think the Bertrams were all sterndrive....

Brett_Hoskin
06-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Sorry forgot to say. The Bertrams were made in Melbourne by International Marine who now make the Carribean cruisers(are they still around?) The same hull moulds were also used to build some models of Pride boats and possible the odd Pongrass.

These hulls were made from the late 60's or early 70's in Australia and are arguably (sp) about the best riding 20 ft mono around..still...dont let anyone tell you any different. They are a little unsteady at rest as I think they have a 26degree deadrise but its nothing a sea anchor or 2 wont fix.
top boats.

Huntsman
07-04-2005, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the info. Much appriciated.
It is definately very very similar to the old bertrams, but all the badges on the boat are marked as Huntsman... Could they have used the same mould?
Also now i have some people say the hull could be from mid '80s, others early '70s....
It gets so complicated when the waterways have no idea on how to keep records.

Brett_Hoskin
07-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Often moulds will be sold by a company when a certain number of units have been produced. Where were huntsman made? #Melbourne??

Someone with Jeff? Websters trailer boat book may be able to find some info.

I seem to recall that the shape of the 20 ft Bertram changed in the mid 80's..maybe the Huntsman were made from the old moulds...Dunno??

X-Plicit
07-04-2005, 03:45 PM
I think the huntsmans were made in Melbourne...
Whats the websters trailer boat book all about?
i too would like to find out when that hull was made.. they are a good solid boat

boatboy50
08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey,

Id believe its a huntsman. The Berties and Huntsman's were all sharing moulds as far as i know, and my guess is shes around a mid 70's model.

Nice late model motor youve got there, will be a great rig.

Jeff Websters is a writer who produces magazines about second hand boats. They are a great reference and help out in many ways with great info like this.

Regards
Darren

rojac
08-04-2005, 04:41 PM
The front looks very similar to the pride bahia mar, same wide gunnels, hatch and no anchor well.

There one at a dealer in adelaide.

cheers

rojac

Brett_Hoskin
08-04-2005, 07:11 PM
http://25bertram.com/literature/1966/1966_p1.jpg

http://25bertram.com/literature/1966/1966_p2.jpg

http://25bertram.com/literature/1966/1966_p4.jpg

try these

troy
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
i can give you information on the huntsman 23 as i have jeff webster's book on his top 100 second hand boats but cannot find anything around the 20 foot mark
troy

Huntsman
12-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Hey Troy, if you could give me some info on the huntsman 23" that would be great.

Cheers

gofishin
12-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Can't remember names, & i might have the order a bit mixed up but i am pretty sure the guy that started Huntsman also previously started Nova & before that worked for Bertram. That is why all three had very similar models in the 23-25' range. I think he also had something to do with pride and posibly the very early mustangs. is the o/board transom original or a mod?

send Peter Webster at F&B/seamedia an email. he will propably know.

chs

Huntsman
12-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Cheers GoFishin.

Do you have a link to his website/email?

troy
12-04-2005, 09:54 AM
mate
the huntsman 23 was built in the early 1970's and was built buy several different companies in cluding nova and shark cat.
that is about all i can tell you and he states they were a very soft riding boat.
troy

Huntsman
12-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey guys, i just got a great response from the great Peter Webster himself. Thanks for all your help everyone! -

"The boat might be a lot younger than you think, as this model Huntsman was built in Brisbane by CIC Insurance (I think it was) in the late 1980s – early 1990s. It was a diversification for the insurance mob – but I don’t know what happened to the moulds after the insurance crowd ‘returned to their core business’ . Before that, the Huntsmans were built by several manufacturers, and can be tracked right back to the original 1970s Stylecraft range by Graeme Williams of Mustang fame. Probably your best bet would be to talk with Peter Hunt (himself) at Hunts Marine in Sydney, and/or try and track down his old sales manager, Jack Binns.
Hunts Marine were synonymous with Huntsman for years and years – if anybody is going to know about them today, that’s where I’d start.
Hope this helps
Regards,
Peter Webster"