PDA

View Full Version : So many choices,,,,,,,,

Brett_Hoskin
12-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I have been procrastinating for far too long and have decided to get a larger boat to get out to the nearby Islands within the Whitsundays off Mackay etc etc. I need to be able to beach launch.

Although I am limited by 5.7 mts overall boat and trailer lenght (to fit into the garage) I have worked out that a tilt trailer will sort that issue out all that remains is to decide on the boat.
I have looked at :

Stessel Truck 4.65 with a 50hp 2 stroke for about $17k .

Stessco trophy 4.55 with a 40 HP 2 stroke tiller for $16K

Blue Fin 4.5 Tiller with 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke for $16.5k or $18999 with a Suzuki 4 stroke

Then there is the Seajay Haven Centre console 4.75 with a 60Yamaha for $22k

and the TABS 4.35 Territory with 40 Hp 2 stroke Johnson for $17.6 k or $26k for a 4.55 side console version.

The Stacer 4.6 Nomad side console is $22k.

All of the boats are similar however there is a lot of difference in the prices. To say I am confused is an understatement.

Any comment regading the seaworthiness or performance the above boats would be well appreciated.

I am sure many of you have been through a similar exercise.

cheers

Brett

mjc85
12-04-2005, 05:53 PM
What about one of these

http://www.fisherboats.com.au/data/450ex.html

I'm not sure the price as i am waiting for an email from them myself, they are sexy looking boats =) You definately want a 2 stroke ? with the rising fuel prices and the damn headaches they give you =P

Brett_Hoskin
12-04-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't particularly want a 2 stroke #but I don't want to spend a fortune either. Is there a lot of difference in the noise levels.

I don't really know what I want....hence the post. ??? ;D ;)

Brett_Hoskin
12-04-2005, 06:27 PM
What about one of these

http://www.fisherboats.com.au/data/450ex.html

I'm not sure the price as i am waiting for an email from them myself, they are sexy looking boats =) You definately want a 2 stroke ? with the rising fuel prices and the damn headaches they give you =P

I did look at the Fisher website and would be interested to get an idea on price.

rumy
13-04-2005, 01:44 AM
What about a poly boat ? Centre Console with every option would cost you under $18000. And that's with a 50hp 4 stroke. I was going to get one till a glass boat came up that I couldn't resist. Go to www.martinmarine.com.au and have a look. I found them to be the best in QLD but there is a place at Ingham which are good too and would be closer to you.
Best of luck with your search as I know exactly how confusing it can be.

gofishin
13-04-2005, 04:15 AM
Brett, a tilt trailer won't help with fitting your rig into the garage (only aids retrieval etc), but you probably mean a trailer with a swing-around drawbar. They add ~$350-$400 to the cost but are worthwhile if space is an issue.

As for the rest, it's the usual; do your homework, work out what style & type of boat you need most & fit this to your budget. Don't forget the test runs etc especially if you are unsure about types of motors etc.

chs

Zeeke
13-04-2005, 05:44 AM
only problem with the polycraft is, they are slippery as all buggery and have stuff all storage, i know they usually have 2 90l storage bins at the front, but that doesnt hold things like oars, gaff, spare rods and such out of the way

Tim

mini696
13-04-2005, 06:27 AM
I like the look of the Ocean Cylinders. If I had the cash I would get one...

*wishes to himself that Rob would swap his for a Carton of rum*

Mick

pegasus
13-04-2005, 08:44 AM
hi Brett,ref the polys-worth consideration- various configurations,they can be ordered with side pockets, clip in carpet, cushions,bait tanks/boards,tackle storage,underfloor fuel tank etc- normally very well priced in comparsion,mostly below the prices you have been looking at. 4 yr hull warranty. A few run em down but havent heard any owners do so. I have to admit I am biased as I have one on order - check em out- may be they might suit you
good luck in the searching :)

krazyfisher
13-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Brett
Had a poly i.e. i was an owner-not stable-wet but very good value the best boat for that price.
I can get you into a 4.55 blue fin for a run if you want or give you the name of a bloke who has one here in mackay. even he will tell you it is wet. I think the poly would be the better buy i have done many trips out to gold smith in a 4.55 but go the center console not the side as I had.
I also have tested the 4.35 truck and loved it the 4.65 would be the boat I would buy handled well and nice low plane speed

dfox
13-04-2005, 11:18 AM
My cousin's 4.5 fisher cc unpainted with canopy, sounder, gps, live bait, trailer, 75 hp yammy etc cost $23 000 a few years back...(2003)

caloundra
13-04-2005, 12:17 PM
brett
can't comment on any of the others, but the 4.65 truck is a great boat.a very solid unit & handles well in a bit of lumpy swell (a little wet but sure the others are aswell)

Daniel

Brett_Hoskin
14-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys...still so many choices....
I am getting prices on the larger Trucks 4.95mtr..with a folding drawbar or tilt trailer I should be able to keep the overall garaged length to undre 5.7 mts..

Now I have just seen a Stessl tri hull...gee they look good too...................

Brett_Hoskin
17-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Nothing is cheap is it.
A 4.95 hull is $6000... a 4 stroke Yamaha tiller steer is $7500 then add the seats trailer, etc etc and we are over the $22k mark again......and I reckon this GST is a waste of money too.

dfox
17-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Brett- this CJ magnum we got last year cost just under $11 000, new.
475, trailer 50yammy 2st, battery, canopy, saftey gear, anchors, seat etc.