PDA

View Full Version : New boat time - decisions decisions

25_ponies
17-04-2005, 09:36 AM
OK, the long awaited upgrade to the Ponies' tinny has finally arrived.

I was under the illusion that this would be an easy decision :-[ but no such luck.

I'm looking for a new aluminium runabout in the 4.75-4.8 range and so far have looked at the following:

Quintrex CoastRunner - Was #1 until reading about quality issues. Design seems good, but they've screwed up the new models with all that plasticky side cover crap. Dash looks really cheap as well.
Ally Craft Bar Raider - Seems ok, bit lower quality than the Quinny, plus only 60L fuel tank
Formosa - seems like #1 option at the moment and build quality looks good for the price - almost seems to cheap (eg - has full seam welds on gunwalls etc whereas Quinny etc have tack).
Stacer - can't handle that riveted on plastic/fibreglass front section.
Plate boats - have looked at Trailcraft and Fisher - nice but a bit over budget.

Budget is around $25K give or take a few thou with a 50 or 60 HP 4 stroke.

Looking for any suggestions or opinions from current or past owners of any of the above.

Cheers,

Ponies.

PS - Nic will soon be changing from 25_ponies ;D

Brett_Hoskin
17-04-2005, 11:54 AM
I am going through the same exercise at the moment and I tink I will end up going mad trying to understand the pros and cons of the variety of boats out there in the market place.

To me it seems as if the Stacer and Quintrex packages are a bit expensive. I am currently looking into Stessl, Bluefin and Sea JAy

Good luck

jungleperch
18-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Have a good look at the seajays great boats.

big_tinnie
18-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Ponies,
My brother and I have just gone through all this ourselves, and in the end decided on 5mtr Blue fin viking from Mr T's tinnies down at Capalaba. The cost for the bare boat was$5550 thats with a 60ltr underfloor tank, grab rails, rear step. We're putting a 75hp yammie tiller steer on the back,which we hope to get fitted next week.
I'll let you know how it goes once it's all finished ;D ;D

25_ponies
18-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks Everyone.

Jungleperch: I hadn't looked at the SeaJay do far; they do look like a good unit. Well check them out at the boat show

Big_tinnie: Just looking at the Blue Fins now.

Must be the time of year for buying - every 2nd post in here at the moment is "I'm buying a new boat and...."