PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Vs Ally Craft

ace_jas
16-04-2005, 05:50 AM
I can’t see if this topic has been covered before but I’m looking at Ally Craft 3.95 shadow rather than a Quintrex 3.85 and would be interested to see if anyone has any ideas on pros and cons (I have mates that are happy with the Quintrex but haven’t heard much about the ally craft)

Zeeke
16-04-2005, 06:47 AM
same boat, different label

Tim

billfisher
16-04-2005, 07:17 AM
From what I have heard the Ally Craft does not match the Quintrex in strength and build quality.

Stumpthumpa
16-04-2005, 09:25 AM
I have had a 4.1m Shadow for over 2 years now and have been very happy. No problems on or off the water. Also have done lots of road miles (Byron Bay to Prossie, Pindari, Sommerset, Copeton ect) hull seems to be handling it all OK.

Zeeke
16-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Quintrex has a build Quality?? Since When?? :o

Tim

devocean
16-04-2005, 10:58 AM
I agree with ya Zeeke quality has suffered in the last ten years. Prior to that they were bloody good boats

troy
16-04-2005, 01:11 PM
ace jas
i own a 3.95 avalon ally craft and is one of the best tinnies i have owned.
unfortunately i have not been in a late model quintrex so i cannot compare.
but as far as the ally craft that i have got it gives a pretty fair ride for a tinny.
troy

gunna
16-04-2005, 01:23 PM
I bought an Ally about 3 years back. Everyone said at the time that Quintrex was better & would hold re-sale value better. I checked the quality of the Ally and was more than happy so I went with it based on the cheaper price. Haven't had any regrets - its a great boat. There is a current thread (or two) on one of the other sites about unhappy Quinny owners & its amazing how many of them are REALLY dirty with the current product coming out of the Quinny factory.

stu68
16-04-2005, 04:15 PM
I have owned 2 quintrex over the last 12 years no problems with any of them.It"s like fighting over Ford and Holdens who cares which is better, as long as the price is right.I"m a boilermaker by trade and have welded up a few boats in my time,it"s a very boring job you punch them out as fast as you can.Welding up ally boats is 1 of the crap parts of the trade.there is not much diffrents in the quality, just hope you don"t get one that was welded up on a Friday just before knock off time.

billfisher
16-04-2005, 06:53 PM
You might do better talking to an aluminium boat repairer. You will get a better idea than listening to hersay on the internet. Certain smaller brands tend to keep turning up for repair.
You can get a good idea also by looking at the boat. The more ribs the better and they must be in contact with the hull so there is no room for flexing. Also compare sheet thickness.

Brett_Hoskin
17-04-2005, 09:02 AM
The Stacer bloke in town told me that Stacer and Quintrex are the best nd that Ally craft and seajay are at the bottom of the quality list.

The Sea jay bloke advised me that Quintrex and Stacer are owned by the same company and that he only sells Seajay because he has very very few warranty clains.

Which salesman do we believe??????? ??? ??? ???

saphire
17-04-2005, 09:38 AM
I dont have any shares in the companies and I dont work in the boating industry even though I wish I did.
I bet though the Alley Craft dealers are nicer to you than the Quintrex dealers. Go to Wynnum Marine. I wish that I did.
saphire [smiley=balloon3.gif]

dfox
17-04-2005, 10:37 AM
For starters ya never believe a salesman!!!

As zeeke has already said ,the current crop of Quintrex, Stacer and Alley craft are all the same group!!!

Forget about what used to be and realise that all are variants of one manufacturer.

As billfisher said- check whats got the most ribs and supports, what beam, alloy thickness.
The biggest problem with all tinnies is the hulls cracking along the keal so support of this area is critical. The transom is another area that needs ample support to a lesser degree.
Run a tape over the different boats, dont believe the brochures. Compare the prices.
Theres plenty of other builders as well so dont rush.

peterbo3
17-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Which Salesperson to believe???
Why, that is easy.
The one with the biggest tits of course. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brett_Hoskin
18-04-2005, 06:54 AM
I like that Idea....hahahah

ace_jas
19-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding to my dilemma ,one thing I did find is that the two local quintrex dealers weren’t as helpful as other dealers (maybe they don’t have to be ) ,but it looks like they will miss out this time.
Anyway thanks again and thank to Ausfish for a great spot to gather info.
Cheers
jas

wheezer
19-04-2005, 08:47 AM
I would also consider the new 385 Stessl ET, very nice boat and well priced. Can't beat the width for fishing either, 2m beam!

peterreb
19-04-2005, 12:46 PM
I bought my allycraft at Margate,the reason why was that noone wanted to sell me a boat at Sundown,I asked,waited patiently for about 30 minutes,got p...ed off and went to Cunninghams, got nailed as soon as I approached the sales desk, thats how come I own a Allycraft.It's only 4 months old and very pleased with it.