PDA

View Full Version : Haines Hunter V17L

4evafishin
18-04-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm in the process of searching for another boat. I like the look of the V17L, Ive only ever seen them in pictures on the internet. Seems that there are not many around forsale.

How good are they? truthfully

Is the haines hunter 17L the same boat?

Can anyone tell me any problems they have? (ie: what to look for when I find one)

How high they sit on a standard trailer from the ground to the top of the winscreen? I need to know how much work i have to do to my shed to make it fit.

If if anyone has some good inside and outside pics of a V17L could they please send them to my e-mail.

melbdan
18-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi i have a V17L that i have just done a rebuild on i think there a great boat for there size and am very happy with it.
The V17R and the V17C are the same hull with different top decks what i found with the 17R is they came out with two different top decks one looks like a speed boat type deck that u would not stand on because it is rounded and the other u can stand on and looks better.
The problem i found when looking for mine was most had rotten floors,stringers and transom as for height on the trailer im not sure as i have a custom trailer good luck finding one Dan.

Brejen
18-04-2005, 12:07 PM
4evafishin, currently have a v17L. Great boats. Will PM you with some pics. How far away you live, as there is a few Haines's having a day in the bay, there will be a few 17L's, 17R's and others. Would be a great time to see and compare a few at the same time. More than welcome to tag along. Chech out the link
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1113301116
Mate all the best in your search. I also found the same problems that melbdan had with the floors transoms etc so keep a good eye on these areas. But if this is what you want one will come along.
Brett

Big_Kev
18-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Good choice.
The reason you don't see many for sale is the owners don't want to let them go.
Transomes and floors at the age they are are the things to check for, but can be fixed and this is negotiated in the price you pay.
Some guys on this board own some very nice V17L's.

Hagar
18-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Good idea to go to the ramp when the Haines day is on ( see the post on this section ) and see a few up close or organise to tag along with someone if you are close to Brissie .

They have not been produced for many years so all the comments about transoms/floors/stringers etc are good advice . Any hull of this era could have none ,some or all of these problems depending on how the owner has treated it . Another problem will most likely be finding one that does not have a pre - historic outboard still on it .

Here's a coupla pics of mine . It has none of these problems as all the work has been done and then some . Height on a standard trailer to top of screen is 2050mm and to top of canopy is 2350mm with it on the towbar . Hope this helps . Mine might be for sale in a couple of months if I am happy with my current project boat . The 17L is a great bluewater and all round boat - just need a bit more room . In my experience the other comparable hull to it that is beamier than the 17 L is the Yalta Odessa 189 . Still 5.2m and a great boat . It's what I am rebuilding right now .

Chris

Hagar
18-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Another

Hagar
18-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Last one

Brejen
18-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Hagar nice mate, reeeal nice. See you are roostered on, on the day in the bay. I'm in the hinterland and would love to organize a trip outside if you're keen. Will keep in touch am going to get the boyz from the Haines's big day out to come down home for a trip out. What you have on the butt off that girl.
Brett

James_V17L
18-04-2005, 04:06 PM
YES!!!..Very very nice Hagar...I am so close to stripping mine & giving it a full resto job...especially after looking at yours... sweet as..nice job..
4eva..they are great boats but are on the old side now..great advice already given on the previous posts...more often than not you will have to do some resto work due to their age or you mite find something that has been restored...I think there is a V17L on e-bay???Good luck.

James_V17L
18-04-2005, 04:09 PM
my rig:

James_V17L
18-04-2005, 04:12 PM
pic

pirate_pete
19-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I have owned my V17l for 21 years now. It is powered by a 1984 Johnson J140tlcr and it is now running a bit sad. I have never thought of replacing the boat it does everything I could ask of it. I dive and with 3 up including gear for the 3 of us the longest trip undertaken was a run out to North Solitary Island of the coast from Arrawarra just north of Woolgoolga NSW that is a 44 Naut mile round trip and at no time did I ever feel that she would fail me. I have rebuilt the engine twice I don't think it will take a 3rd rebuild so I am now looking at the F115 Yamaha, I am currently watching another thread on this motor.

The best thing I like about the boat is that it is a comfortable dry ride and has a big boat feel to it, and once you are use to it can launch and retrieve single handed. I am interested in the motor sizes other people are running.

I wish I was in SE Qld I would definately attend your Haines day out.

Pete

Brejen
19-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Pete
couldn't agree with you more when you say they have a big boat feel. I am currently running a Johnson 175 V6. Most say a little over powered but haven't had a single problem (touch wood) with it yet. A little thirsty but i'll live with that. Was on the boat when i brought it and am as happy as a pig in poo with the whole outfit. usual days trip is around the 30-40 mile and always a pleasure to be riding in her. 21 years same boat awesome.
Brett

pirate_pete
19-04-2005, 03:21 PM
The 175 dosn't tend to sit low in the rear end at rest, what size fuel tank do you have

pirate_pete
19-04-2005, 03:36 PM
I only come by this site after doing a search on google for V17L once I have worked it out I will post a couple of shots of Pirate Pete

Hagar
19-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Brejen - We can do a trip sometime if the weather is kind this winter - no worries .

James - think I will take a day off work to come to the bay trip so I can nick that bimini setup when you are not looking - love it .

Chris

Brejen
19-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Pete at rest is a little lower than usual but haven't had anything over the back. I was a little worried about this as well but looked at another with a 140 (i think) and the difference between them wasn't noticable. Currently have two tanks 100ltr in the transom well, more weight on the butt, and a 75ltr in the underfloor well. Am getting a 185ltr made for the underfloor area so this will lighten the load at the rear as well. The only thing is the fuel consumption but hey can't have it all. Am used to my other boat Clarke abalone C/C with a 90hp and the fuel difference really shocked me. Am currently getting around the 1.4ltr / km and have been told that this is pretty good for the motor. Cruising speed of 20-22knt @3000RPM. Looking forward to some pics
Brett

Brejen
19-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Hagar sounds good, thinking of heading thru the seaway wed morn up to the pin bar reef, see what the weathers like tomorrow night.
Will help you get James's bimini off if we can take it in turns using it, looks the ducksnuts.
Brett

2DKnBJ
19-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Brett
I take it you will be going to the Big Haines Day Out.If you are planing on selling the 75 litre tankyou might have a buyer.Happens to be the next thing on my shopping list for my V17 R.Will have to have a chat on the day.
Dazza

Brejen
19-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Dazza
I'll be there with bells on, not really. Not a problem re the tank will be able to see it on the day. Not sure how far away the new tank is, need to get the funds approved -bloody wife-, but have you top of list if i sell the old one. Looking forward to meeting everyone one the day, should be good.
Brett

Luke. Killeen
05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
4evafishin, currently have a v17L. Great boats. Will PM you with some pics. How far away you live, as there is a few Haines's having a day in the bay, there will be a few 17L's, 17R's and others. Would be a great time to see and compare a few at the same time. More than welcome to tag along. Chech out the link
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Boats;action=display;num=1113301116
Mate all the best in your search. I also found the same problems that melbdan had with the floors transoms etc so keep a good eye on these areas. But if this is what you want one will come along.
Brett
hay brejen i have a 17ft L to im about to put a pod on it and new 115 yammy, and a new canopy like your design could you send me some pics so i can get some ideas

fish-freak
05-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm in the process of searching for another boat. I like the look of the V17L, Ive only ever seen them in pictures on the internet. Seems that there are not many around forsale.

How good are they? truthfully

Is the haines hunter 17L the same boat?

Can anyone tell me any problems they have? (ie: what to look for when I find one)

How high they sit on a standard trailer from the ground to the top of the winscreen? I need to know how much work i have to do to my shed to make it fit.

If if anyone has some good inside and outside pics of a V17L could they please send them to my e-mail.
Hey, the 17foot haines hull is a classic and always will be . I have owned mine for 8yrs(see pic). only down fall i think is the (classic hull) should have a beam of about 6 inches wider!. cheers.

death_ship
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
pete i put a 115 4 stroke yammy on my 17c and get use about half a litre/km, from scarborough to caloundra wide and back usually uses 60 litres, hope this helps.
Bretto

ozscott
05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Haines (as in Haines family) boats have always been narrow in the beam compared to many competitors...I had one of the narrowest 15-16 footers on the market with the V163....a realy problem for 2 boofs on one side! But great ride and turns in like a ski boat...

luke_killeen
05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey mate how you going, i have a haines hunter the same as yours and i have a low canopy on it at the moment and going to upgrade to a new 1 just like yours and i was wondering if you could send me a few pics of your boat and your canopy and anything about it really. thanks.