PDA

View Full Version : Help,Transducer set-up Yalta 615

zulu
14-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Would appreciate Ausfish members advice on postioning of transducer. Have been running a Lowrance lcx-15ci
and have recently upgraded to a JRC FF50, both sounders seem to run the same transducer, both sounders seem to have too much screen clutter at anything over 20km/h. Have tried to lower the transducer by 8mm with no difference.I do not run both sounders at the same time as I have been told they may interfere with each other. Hoping there may-be some other Yalta owners out there who could help me.
Cheers Troy.

zulu
14-04-2005, 02:21 PM
transducer hangs down past hull by about 4mm at front and tapers back slightly.

zulu
14-04-2005, 02:22 PM
and another.

magicpudding
14-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Is there a strake in the hull ahead of where you've got your sounder positioned? It appears as though you are getting air bubbles under the transducer. We used to have the same problem until we mounted it further down towards the centreline. It's also a FF50, and now we can get the bottom to about 250m from memory at 23knots

CJ

zulu
14-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Cj,the strake would be about 4.5m in front of the transducer and 90mm to the side, as you can see there is not alot of room to move the transducer down towards the keel. Do you think the strake position could still be a problem? Thanks for your feedback.

snappa
14-04-2005, 04:14 PM
:o
maybe the transducer is mounted to far off the back of the boat allowing broken water over the face of trans..

maybe ... ???

snappa
14-04-2005, 04:16 PM
:o
maybe the transducer is mounted to far off the back of the boat allowing broken water over the face of trans..

maybe ... ???

snappa
14-04-2005, 04:17 PM
geeee

did i repeat myself.....

ps mounting plate may be required

whichway
14-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I've got a bit of a similar problem on my boat, and if ever the wind stops and I get out in the boat again, I've been advised to leave the motor in neutral and rev it up a bit. The problem may be interference at high revs from the motor and nothing to do with the transducer mounting.

Good luck

Whichway

Fishin_Dan
16-04-2005, 03:49 AM
You can buy mounting brackets from places like with Whitworths. They will allow you to move the transducer easily without having to re-drill holes all the time. Might be the way to go...

jaybee
16-04-2005, 04:17 AM
At a guess i would say your speedo is interfering with your reading, they create a V pattern and looking at the postion would be creating turbulance on the back half of the transducer
cheers
Joe

bugman
16-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Troy - your speed pick is also pretty close - any turbulance at all will cause clutter - I'd be moving it over another 10cms or so.

Actually I pissed mine off all together as I'm running two transducers and didn't have the room. That's what GPS is for #;D

Bugman

edit ::
DOH - sorry Jaybee obviously didn't read the second page of this thread

Mr__Bean
16-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Looking at the second photo, it is still not low enough in the water.

When you mention it is 4mm below the hull at the front, is that at the centre of the transducer or the inboard face?

It must be below the hull by that much on the inboard side.

- Bean

jaybee
17-04-2005, 04:05 AM
Such is life Buggs #;D

zulu
17-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Just to confuse the issue, this the transducer on the other side. I dont think there is anything here to interfere with transducer. Do you think the Honda 130 4 stroke would cause interference? I like the idea of a seperate mounting plate.

zulu
17-04-2005, 11:05 AM
another view.

frankj
17-04-2005, 11:28 AM
You may be getting some turbulence form the pod itself, the transducers look quite close to it. I would bet that the angle between the pod and the transom results in a venturi effect at speed with resulting turbulence.

Maybe moving out a little might improve things. Not too much of course.

zulu
18-04-2005, 02:42 AM
I bought the lowrance sounder with the boat at well known bayside dealership and had them install the transducer.You would hope they would know what they where doing.They where the ones who installed it so close to the speed pick-up.
Bugman, do you run both sounders at the same time?
cheers Troy.

jaybee
18-04-2005, 05:32 AM
this page should help you to sort out your transome angle as well, http://www.rocketflap.com/transom_calc.php
cheers
Joe

dazza
18-04-2005, 04:40 PM
have you considered shooting through the hull.
we have the transducer mounted in the bottom of the hull and can see the bottom at any speed in any conditions i am out in.
keeps it fairly protected as well
cheers
dazza

bugman
19-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Troy,

Yeah I run both sounders at the same time - My big colour doesn't like running at speed but that's because I'm using a through hull transducer in a hand built bracket. I also put the bloody thing behind a strake which doesn't help.

The Lowrance runs fine at high speed - even in rough weather so if you get it right I'm sure it will work.

I'm also running a Honda 130 so it's not the motor

Bugman

zulu
19-04-2005, 01:49 PM
bugman, dazza,
thanks for your input, I will persist with moving the location of the transducer,if I have no luck I may look at a through the hull set-up.
Troy

frankj
19-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Maybe you could fix the tranducer to the end of a piece of 2x1 timber. Make it long enough to allow you clamp it to the top of the transom and then you could move it around on the water until you got the best position.
Depends on your transom set up but if it is possible, it would giove you the most flexibility for a trial.

Cheers
Frankj

zulu
19-04-2005, 03:30 PM
frankj,
great idea, I wish I had of thought of that! Clamping in place may be a bit difficult though.
thanks troy

Diesel-Demon
19-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Talk to the boys at Trymax Marine Electronics they supply and fit the JRC FF50,s all the time and are only too pleased to help Ph 07 3245 3633, good luck.