PDA

View Full Version : Check THIS engine out.....

yockman
19-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi guys,

Don't know if this has been on here before, but check this donk!!

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

:o :o :o :P :P :P

OMG
Yockman

propdinger
19-04-2005, 01:58 PM
:o :o :o :o :o

Hagar
19-04-2005, 03:57 PM
How big of a battery would you need to start that sucker huh ! [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

Steven78
19-04-2005, 04:08 PM
I would like to see to see some one replace a head gasket on that one or an oil change

chemmy
19-04-2005, 04:59 PM
yea that would would be interesting ;D ;D

sorry steven78 just had to ;D

Richard
19-04-2005, 06:24 PM
If it's like other ships they usually just shut down a cylinder or two and do work on those while the ship is still going.

I was told that they usully build the ship around the motor rather than trying to get it into the ship.

I guess you can't just hook up a block and tackle to the garage shed's main beam to lift that sucker in..

Diesel-Demon
19-04-2005, 07:02 PM
As an apprentice I worked on a similar six cylinder engine, to remove the ridge at the top of the cylinders they lowered myself and another 2nd year,down in bosuns chairs with 9inch grinders and sanding attachments,real fun!

finga64
20-04-2005, 03:05 AM
We had motors like that when I was working in a power station in Lismore. They were 6 and 8 cylinder inline about 1000hp. A piston could be used as a table
The whole floor pounded when 1 or 2 started. You could feel the noise going through you. I never saw the 6 of the work at the one time though. Ther're still there but unable to be started. I think they're left over engines from WWII.
The engines used at Grafton were/still are gas turbine engines. I was a first year apprentice in the '80's when we had to check them. Sh-t they're loud I thought, but that was only the V12 jag engine used for the starter motor. When the turbines built up speed then that was unbelievable noise. :P

drb
20-04-2005, 08:33 AM
If it's like other ships they usually just shut down a cylinder or two and do work on those while the ship is still going.

I think someone is pulling you leg there mate. I did 10 years in the engine rooms of ships working on similar engines and you just cant do that. Imagine how your car would run if you removed a cylinder or 2. They may be big engines but they are still finely tuned and balanced machines. Even though they rev quite slowly in comparison to smaller engines the vibration alone would shake the ship to pieces in no time.

Dazz

ps usually started with comprossed air directly into the cylinders. Also have no reverse gear. Simply stop the engine an start it in reverse :)

ba229
20-04-2005, 12:01 PM
yep sure is an impressive sight.

funny that no matter how big or small they get the basics always seem to be there. just need bigger tools to get the job done thats all :-)

I see these pistons are oil cooled. I think i have seen one that had water cooled piston crowns. the concept really impressed me when i was younger.