PDA

View Full Version : What does my Boat weigh?

adamleah
17-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Alright fellas ... If you have read my latest update in my brake saga, you will realise I need to find out what my boat weighs so I can figure out what brakes/axle I need...

It is a 1989 haines Signature 1750L with a 115 2 stroke Merc on the back. Can anyone be of help....
Pic of it below.

Brett_Hoskin
17-04-2005, 07:27 AM
http://www.seamedia.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG115_prev.pdf best I could do probably a good indicator.

basserman
17-04-2005, 03:29 PM
always over state you weights so you know nothing that you can toss at it can break it and in saying that i would say you would be safe with a axle rated to about 1300kg thats what i did when building my trailer for my sf17 southwind with the yamaha 115hp 2st on the back ;D

bignick
17-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Mate, tow the rig down to the quarry down at German Church Road, Redland Bay. They have a public weighbridge; just tow it onto the scales and unhook the car. They weigh the whole rig (BMT) and give you a certificate. Costs about $15-00 from memory. Remember to weigh the rig with a full load of fuel on board plus a bit of gear, then add on a bit more to allow for things like eskies, fishing gear, etc. to give you a good idea of total weight under tow. It's better to set up to tow greater weight than necessary, as the rig will tow a whole lot better, and you won't run into any problems down the track with Transport Department (Scalies) or, just as importantly, insurance. I did the whole trailer ATM thing last year; it's a nightmare that just never seems to go away.

Cheers,
NICK.
P.S. How's the young fella?

Angla
17-04-2005, 03:58 PM
I'd go with the weigh bridge idea at the local quarry, but just have the trailer on the bridge with the cars wheels off the bridge. Then I would add 100 Kilos for the weight the tow bar was taking if the trailer is fairly evenly weighted.
It's always a bit of a guess as to how much weight there is depending on fuel and gear carried.
Angla

propdinger
17-04-2005, 06:27 PM
birkdale tip also do the weigh thing adam but i guess that with no trailer to tow it with atm you cant find out by driving it there

???

familyman
18-04-2005, 03:24 AM
Adam according to the manual your motor weighs 132 kg without control cables ,as for the boat sorry cant help you there but best guess would around a tonne 950-1050 kg with fuel and gear ???
cheers jon

adamleah
18-04-2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks for input fellas ...
Most of the web sites says towing weight around 1340 kg ... Haines site on new models says same ,, looks like I will need min 1600kg axle which I have been told the 9 inch rims wont carry anyhow... new gear allround :-/

http://www.haines-marine.com.au/products/boat_details.asp?ID=8

mako_5.2
18-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Adam
I have just been through what you are doing. I had single axle with13" light truck tyres. Tyres rated to1300kg. Weighed boat and with safety gear and full tank and it came in at 1340kg without esky or fishing gear so I bit the bullet and changed it all over to duel axle and now rated up to 1950kg. I could have gone to 14" tyres and had it rated higher and stayed with a single axle but it still would have been close to that with a full load.I went with duel axle for the safety factor. The weigh bridge weighed mine both ways complete and on car for $16.00.

walruss
19-04-2005, 07:51 AM
I would have to agree with Mako_5.2. A dual axle will be far more towing friendly. While the weight that you get from Haines might be 1340kg that wont be with a full tank of fuel, all your gear etc. I weighed a boat i owned re the same thing and it was 275kg heavier than what they said by the time all the gear was in. The dual axle take away all the problems with that.

adamleah
20-04-2005, 04:27 PM
OK ... The old man took the rig to the local weigh station "Birkdale Dump" and it with 80litres of fuel, 30kg of tools and everything except esky and fishing rods .. weighed 1240kg.... Guessing I'll be going for a 1600kg single axle setup..

Thanks to all again .

jezzza
20-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Mate the 1750L weighs 560kg hull only hope this helps.