PDA

View Full Version : Painting a boat

mad_keen
16-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi Guys
i have bought myself a secondhand boat (glass) and i want to get the boat repainted. Its a Centre Consol 6m.

Can anyone give me an idea of cost......

cheers
adrian

blaze
16-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Dont Know of cost but the biggest expense is the prep work, if you was to sand and prepare it should more than halve the cost as it dosnt take long to run the spraygun over it, it will also vary a lot on the type of 2pac paint used.
cheers
blaze

DR
16-04-2005, 02:00 PM
go to http://www.yachtpaint.com/ they have good info.
if your local chandlery sell 'International' brand paint have a look for their booklet & they also have a really good dvd giving step by step how to..

cheers

mad_keen
20-04-2005, 07:00 AM
thanks for the advise fellas.
al

James_V17L
20-04-2005, 01:34 PM
go to # http://www.yachtpaint.com/ they have good info.
if your local chandlery sell 'International' brand paint have a look for their booklet & they also have a really good dvd giving step by step how to..

cheers
Gotta agree DR...I have used a fair bit of their paint on my boat & its top quality stuff..well worth the extra few bucks.

gavsgonefishing
21-04-2005, 02:21 AM
Even if you are not proficient with the gun you can do a heap yourself with minimal tools and maximum labour ;D

Strip all the bits off, sanding and more sanding, if its got a previous coat of paint its probably best to get it back to the gelcoat. When you think you have had enough, a little more sanding is the go.

Dont forget to mask everything that you don't want painted...

Matt_Campbell
21-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Mate
There is quite a bit of work involved. I bought an old mackerel dory from Gladstone and it took me about 3 months to get looking half decent. I sanded every inch of the boat with 80grit paper, bogged the bits that needed it and then sprayed it with Wattyl 2 pack hi-build. Finally I sanded that with 180 grit and sprayed again with Wattyl 2 pack polyurethane finish. A couple of pics to show you the before and after. Note all the sandpaper and the gelcoat dust on the grass - it is hard work. Buy yourself a good orbital sander and heaps of 80 grit paper.

Matt_Campbell
21-04-2005, 07:45 AM
And now After

Huntsman
22-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Its a big job.
Took me and my mate around 4-6 weeks to spray our previous old boat.

Id suggest gettting a hold of an orbital sander to sand over all the nice flat surfaces, and then using good old elbow grease with some sandpaper to do all the niggly bits n pieces.
i would suggest sticking to automobile 2pac paint. Dries rock hard and i couldnt put a scratch in the finish even if i tried.
Must remember to masktape and cover any parts you dont want to spray over (especially things like windows and railings), get a spray gun and an air compressor and of you go.... Will attach some pictures when i get a chance.