PDA

View Full Version : More work....

Fishin_Dan
21-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Well the issues just keep going and going....

After I fixed up all the issues I was having with the fuel, I went to take the boat out the other week. Thought I would be smart and start the motor before I left in the driveway...

Well motor wouldnt start. Found that the cog from the starter motor was jammed against the flywheel. Gave it a light tap, and it dropped back down. Then noticed that the nut at the top of the shaft was loose, so tightened it up. Turned over the ignition. Cog came up, motor started, cog went back down to sit on the top of the starter motor (All good so far!) but noticed that the cog kept spinning constantly.... Sparks came from under the cog. Turned the engine off very quickly. It had only run for about 5 seconds or so... So boat went back into the garage, and Nemo84 and I went land based fishing...

Anyway, Bayrage>Nisrol came over the other weekend, and we had a look at the boat. He told me that the starter motor spinning was due to the ignition being faulty, plus discovered that the spring on top of the cog/starter motor had broken. So ordered a new spring kit (Spring, spacer, & nut) as well as a new ignition system (New barrell and key). We also noticed that the alloy prop that was on tht motor was in a bad way. I had a spare SS prop the same in the garage, and when we compared the 2, the blades of the Alloy one were about 3cm smaller and all out of shape. It looks like the previous owner had filed them down... We also found several metres of fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft. So we pulled all that off, cleaned everything up, re-greased everything, put the SS prop on and fitted a new split pin on (As the old one was so rusted, we had to bust it off and hammer out the middle section to get the old prop off).

I then fitted the new spring kit to the starter motor, and pulled the ignition system out and fitted the new one. The new ignition turns so easily (I was used to the clunky old one!) and when I got the old one out, I found that one of the terminals was rusted. I am assuming that this was the one that was causing the starter motor to keep running.

I havent had a chance to test the motor out yet (Damn you work!!!!), but she will be getting started soon to make sure all is well.

Hopefully this is the last thing to go wrong with it, because I'm broke, and have had enough!

Attached is a pic I took (With phone - so its crappy quality) of the ignition terminals. You can clearly see the problem!

Pwoida
21-04-2005, 10:48 AM
You probably know this already, but after having all that line wrapped around the propshaft you should check the gear box doesn't have any water in it. Fishing line loves to destroy prop shaft seals.
Cheers,
Peter.

Fishin_Dan
22-04-2005, 07:49 AM
You probably know this already, but after having all that line wrapped around the propshaft you should check the gear box doesn't have any water in it. #Fishing line loves to destroy prop shaft seals.
Cheers,
Peter.

When I had the motor serviced just before xmas, they found water in the gearbox. All the seals were replaced as well as new gearbox oil, etc. They obviously didn't take the prop off though. The split pin was rusted in so bad, we had to bust it off and hammer out the middle section...

Oh well, we live and we learn.... On the upside, I must have the newest 1988 evinrude on the water! ;D

Pwoida
22-04-2005, 08:19 AM
LOL ;D, there's nothing wrong with a good old motor as long as its well maintained. My '78 115 Evinrude has been very kind to me, just chews more fuel than the newies.

Hopefully they pressure tested the the lower unit and found a leak elsewhere. I would still think they would at least inspect the prop shaft seals if they were doing the others.

Lundy
22-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Fishin Dan,
I am a little confused, I would think that you have to remove your prop to replace
your main oil seal on on the prop shaft. ??? ???
I have had a few different motor brands and cant think of any other way.
Did you take it to a trustworthy mechanic?
Steve

blaze
22-04-2005, 10:05 AM
2 seals and an o ring behind prop
cheers
blaze