PDA

View Full Version : New Boatie

OandaFX
17-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi Mike, and welcome to boating.
I like to see you have begun with a little boat. So many valuable lessons get learnt in little ones and the mistakes are usually much easier and less expensive to solve. As a simple example, compare when you leave your boat on the bank for a bit and the tide goes out. You can just drag it back into the water. That doesn't happen with a 5 metre boat. you get to sit and wait for many hours.
That type of lesson will happen every day and when you do take the plunge with a bigger boat, you may just find that the little one wasn't so bad after all!

Happy boating and fishing

phil

2iar
17-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the replies

Jeremy,

I'm from the Gap (but Scotland originally). I've put the boat in at Deepwater Bend a few times, the Pumicestone Passage (at the small ramp at Spinnaker Sound) and the Noosa River. Haven't caught much, as I'm not much of a fisherman yet either to be honest, but it doesn't seem to bother me much now I'm on the water. I'm having a ball though!

Phil,

You're so right on the merits of a little boat for the beginner. I probably made one the few sensible decisions I've ever made with this approach - there's so much to learn for the novice, and my upbringing wasn't anything like I imagine what a lot of you guys have had (access and exposure to boats from a young age). You're so lucky in Australia with this, but it's baby steps for me. As you're saying, there are heaps of pitfalls for someone inexperienced, but at least I'm acknowledging that by starting in a more forgiving environment. I can't believe how many other people I've seen on the water with apparently similar experience who are a lot more gung-ho (foolish IMO) in risking considerable expense, not to mention their safety.

If anyone ever needs a deckie, give us a shout. I'd love to learn from the more experienced, and I'd also love to dispel the myth that Scotsman are tight by chipping in for any associated costs (fuel, bait, beer etc)!

Thanks for the replies and the support. It's what's made the site so good.

Mike

2iar
18-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi All,

I stumbled over this site about a week and a half ago, and I've been hooked ever since!

I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the info that's been posted up previously. As a new boatie with absolutely no prior experience, it's been a massive source of info, and at times very entertaining. It's also comforting to know that the trepidation I experience is shared with other newcomers, and there are people out there with valuable knowledge who are willing to help.

I've spent most of my time since finding the site ploughing through the archives, which has saved me from asking some of the basic and more obvious questions. I've learnt heaps so far (though I never did find out what the "Boat Of The Year" was) ;D

I'm currently serving my rite of passage in a 3.4m Clark Cutter, and once I get some experience up (and save some money), I hope to see you out there in a bigger boat a little further afield than the estuaries I'm currently enjoying.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say for now...thanks again. Be prepared for some very dumb questions, and please go easy on me...this is all new to me, but I'm very keen to learn from you all.

Keep up the good work!

Appreciatively,
Mike

Jeremy
18-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Hi Mike,

welcome to the site.

So whereabouts are you located and where do you normally fish?

Jeremy

nonibbles
19-05-2005, 07:10 AM
There are no dumb questions only dumb answers. And you'll probably find a few of those from the funnier blokes around here but they usually let you know its a joke somehow.

southernson
19-05-2005, 04:10 PM
If you dont ask questions mate you'll never learn anythin. And dead right on the humble tinny, their the basis of everything to be learnt on the water.
Good luck with everything mate.
N good to hear ya enjoyin it!!!
Cheers

The_Walrus
19-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to a great way to spend time.

Nothing wrong with starting small. I spend may years in canoes & kayaks before buying my boat. I still do nearly half my fishing from my canoe.

Luc