PDA

View Full Version : Weed Growth on the Hull

Wyoming
20-05-2005, 04:36 AM
Forgive the second thread if you have seen it before. I thought that I had posted this, but I think it went to God.

We had our boat anti-fouled in early March and while it was out of the water, I fitted a Navman transducer (unpainted). So the boat goes back in the water and gets plenty of regular use, but it is "parked" at a jetty in a Raby Bay canal. Last Sunday, I went out and the Navman was not registering any speed - I checked over the blunt end and could clearly see the new growth of weed that had accumulated in 6 or 7 weeks!

So, I fished for a bit (in beautiful conditions) and went over to Horseshoe Bay (with all the other boats) and I pulled in to the beach on a rising tide at around 9AM, hopped over the side and cleared the weed off the transducer. My fingers got cut to pieces during the process because of the sharp mollusc growth that I couldn't even see.

So, the question is: Is there any way to prevent this growth short of pulling the boat out and anti-fouling the transducer? I would be pleased for any advice - thanks.

basserman
20-05-2005, 08:51 AM
not sure how much this will help but i know that alot of the por fisherman and big boat owners either go with through hull type of sensors or have them on a slide and pole setup where they lift the sensors up out of the water when no in use and just simply slide them down into posistion when out for a fish

ScottB
20-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Wyoming
You can get a special Transducer antifoul from Whitworths that is water based so that it won't attack the plastic. (CAT NO. 64650 $18.95 for 56ml) I'm not sure how effective it is as I haven't tried it as yet but will put it on next time the boat is out.

Scott

Wyoming
20-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey, thanks Scott, I will be happy to give it a go.