PDA

View Full Version : New boat finally on the water.

bignick
18-05-2005, 06:06 AM
It is with much delight and satisfaction that I can finally report that my new ship has had its first water run. It had to be done on Sunday, the 15th because the weather window was going to slam shut before my days off ended. A 1500 departure from my place saw us launch from MBTBC at Manly and it was off to the Foul Ground just off the Rouse Channel Entrance. In quite reasonable conditions, the boat performed flawlessly; however it was a little bit dusty at the start, probably because it hadn't had a decent run for some time. The 90 Merc pushed it along quite briskly without using great heaps of fuel, and the boat rode soft and true. All she needs now is the new switch panel installed, and we'll give the motor a top-to-tail freshen up. To top it all off, not only did we have a good fish and had the place all to ourselves, I christened the new boat with a 6kg Snapper; it doesn't get much better than that. The first offshore run willl be the true test. Some photos will follow shortly. It's all joy...

Cheers,
NICK.

Morlers
18-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Good news Nick. I bet you're all smiles, particularly with that snapper ;D

By the way, what type of boat do you have?

:) :)

Morlers

bignick
20-05-2005, 04:23 AM
It's an older model Seafarer V-Sea with a '97 model 90 Merc. Its got a fair amount of the bells and whistles and it all seems to be a good thing. Pics coming soon. Stay tuned...

Cheers,
NICK.

TheDeepSix
20-05-2005, 05:40 AM
Nick
I have an older type Vsea which is fittted with a 70hp Johnson. I am considering repowering it with a 90 merc, but am concerned about the etra weight on the transom (25kgs heavier). Can you please advise how your boat handles, trim wise (Not to tail heavy?) & what sought of speeds your getting? Thanks

bignick
20-05-2005, 09:12 AM
They can be a little bum-heavy, particularly if there is a large-ish fuel tank and 2 big batteries all down the back (mine has a 110 litre tank under the floor, but the bigger motor and the 2 big M-70 battteries still make it a bit bum-heavy). The 90 Merc is fine, weight wise (2 stroke, I' assuming). The hulls perform exceptionally well with a 90. I'd recommend fitting a hydrofoil fin of some sort to the motor (the SE Sport SE-200 would be a good choice). Mine has the old "whale tail" type hydrofoil fin (new SE-200 soon, hopefully) and performs quite well. It gets up onto the plane instantly, even with a big esky plus other gear down the back and it handles superbly (then again, you'd already know that). I'm getting about 54 km/h at about 5000 RPM, and I'm spinning an 18 inch stainless Vengence prop. And, the fuel economy is quite good; in fact, it will use very little, if any, more fuel than your 70. Good luck with it.

Cheers,
NICK.

TheDeepSix
20-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Couldn't ask for better advice than that, Thanks mate.