PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question #3

2iar
17-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Who has right of way at a boat ramp - an outgoing boat (and trailer), or an incoming vessel?

For what it's worth, I reckon boat ramp rules should be signed at the parks, rigging area and ramp itself, just so everyone is sure of what their responsibilities are.

Mike

Angla
18-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Incoming boats really have to wait until they get there trailer to the ramp, in the queue with the outgoing boats.
Haven't really seen anyone push there way around too much
Patience is sometimes required.
Angla :-/

Morlers
18-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Courtesy and tolerance goes a long way at ramps. Just be as quick as possible with your launch and retrieve and do all your rigging in the rigging lanes. A little help with those in difficulty (if they will let you) also pays.

:) :)

Morlers

Jeremy
18-05-2005, 07:13 AM
queues at the ramp are based on the car and trailer, not the boat.

Jeremy

hateworkin
19-05-2005, 08:21 AM
i had enough of crowed boat ramps, so now i only fish during the weekdays and stay clear on weekends and public holidays.

It amazes me how nice and peacefull the PIN is when your there on a Tuesday...... You could be hundreds of miles from anywhere ;D

But don't everyone start doing this i like it just how it is... ;)

I am lucky i can get days of during the week not only for fishing but the Golf courses are great aswell !

Sportfish_5
19-05-2005, 12:46 PM
This is one thing that really eggs me at boatramps. It could be so simple at the bigger ramps - one side for coming in the other side for going out. I sometimes think people are so hopeless and worried about backing the trailer down, getting the boat out that they just dont think about others trying to come or go.

Spinnaker Sound ramp is a classic for it when yobbos pull their boat out and only drive 5 or 10m from the ramp and park in the roadway and not the parking bays to tie up and stuff. Because of the angle the ramp is to the car park it means you cannot even back you trailer down till they go (after fart arsing around for 1/2 hr) ;D

No one can come out or in until then >:(

Nuthin sh!ts me more than that but must admit I do like watching all that crap when I am not fishing - always good for a laugh ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

2iar
19-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Like the in and out lanes idea Greg, but probably a bit impractical since if the ramp rowdies can't get the basics right I don't reckon they'd be any better sticking to this. I'm glad to say, I haven't run into any of them yet.

It's seems common-sense, patience and courtesy are the key.

For what it's worth, I got a kick out of helping out an old guy at SS last time I was there, it made me feel like I almost knew what I was doing ;D .

It was his first time, and he was obviously nervous, but just reassuring him that I wasn't in any real rush was half the battle. I think the newcomers put a lot of pressure on themselves to get it right, and are in too much of a hurry that mistakes get made (I know I did). Having an audience doesn't help, because it can be quite intimidating knowing that mostly everyone else knows what they're doing, and you're just trying your best to get out the way ASAP and not hold anyone else up.

I'm getting there, and I'm sure the old guy will too.

southernson
19-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Common courtesy is the key at ramps. As long as everyone rigs up n de rigs in the apptopriate areas and not on the ramp everything usually works well. Oh n yeah if its a two lane ramp dont back down the middle, use one side. The amount of times ive seen someone back straight down the guts of a ramp is amazing. No common sense! ??? ??? Ne way. Happy Boating
Cheers

The_Walrus
19-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Weekday fishing is a great way to go. Thank goodness for flexy & RDO's.

Unfortunately, like everything else prefaced by 'common', curtesy, patience and helpfulness seem to be the the first casuality when boat ramps get busy.

I symphatise with the newies. After 4 years of boat ownership, I still have the odd horror launch.

Luc

basserman
20-05-2005, 10:19 AM
well i'm lucky as our ramps even though not in good condition are not ovely busy but everyone seems to stick to the quey and just line out werther it be retriveing or putting in
i however have seen people rigging and de rigging in the way but a short yell telling them to bugger off as your trying to do your thing see them move out of the way as most of these people didn't know they would be in the way
but truly i find that most of the boating comunity are all good people that will help each other and are understanding ;D

knakers
21-05-2005, 04:39 AM
I take our local tv weather mans advice!!
1 Friday evening he said that the weather is going to be great for boating over the weekend so get down to the ramp early otherwise there is gunna be punchups!!
Common courtesy is the go, but I like to get there as early as possible and stay out as late as possible to avoid the rush period!

Jack_Ass
21-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Why do they call it "common" courtesy when it is so bloody rare!
A lot of people I am sure have never heard of the word!
ooooh I love a whinge!