PDA

View Full Version : Gas assisted lift probs - please help

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
25-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Today I serviced the gear box and inspected the impeller on our 1990 40 hp Evinrude 2 stroke. All went well, but went it came time to lower the leg down into the drum of water it just won't budge! The motor has a single ram gas assisted strut. Can these things jam? Has anyone got any advice please?

Spaniard_King
25-05-2005, 05:13 PM
You have the cable operated model??. is the cable connected properly. check the leveris connected to the cable. should be a manual release screw somewhere on the side of the mount bracket, this will allow you to lower or raise the engine without the tilt assit ram

Garry

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
25-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes Garry it is cable operated. There is a lever on the starboard side of the motor which locks and releases the height of the engine. I disconnected it and it seems fine. Maybe I lifted the motor too high when I took off the gear case. Is this possible? Can this cause the ram to jam? There is an allen screw on the side of the ram canister but I haven't undone that for fear of losing gas or something?????????? I don't really understand how the thing works.
Thanks for your response

Dave