PDA

View Full Version : Can a gas assisted strut jam?? Can somebody please

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
26-05-2005, 06:55 AM
I have a 40hp 'rude on a 4.5 tinnie. Yesterday I raised it to service the leg and now it will not drop back down. It is cable type, single strut. Can anybody please advise what I can possibly do. The outboard mechanic that I have spoken has not been able to help. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Dave

NQCairns
26-05-2005, 12:05 PM
You could try ringing a strut re-gassing business, there are a few around in the capital citys.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
26-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks nq. I tried that but to no avail. I have since disconnected the cable and the outboard has come lowered but now will not lift up. I am taking the outboard of the transom so that I can detach the cable and look for faults there. I shudder to think how things might have been if I had been on the water. What would anyone do with a perfectly sound outboard that could not be lowered? And if after a lot of buggerising around you could lower it, how would you trailer it?? Makes me wonder.

Thanks for you advice

Dave

Fishin_Dan
27-05-2005, 12:55 PM
how would you trailer it??

Carefully...! ;) :-X

Sounds like a bugger of a situation mate. Hope you get it all sorted.

Spaniard_King
27-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Normaly with this problem it's a cable adjustment issue, when they fail it's is difficult to trim the engine.

Garry