PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lights

Robbo_Townsville
23-05-2005, 03:04 PM
I have had some probs with the trailer lights due to lack of maintenance from the previous owner (my opinion anyway).

I want to replace the whole setup with new submersible lights. Does anyone have the LED lights fitted, if so how much and how are they going. The normal submersible lights I am interested in too so please give some feedback if you have them.

Cheers Robbo

basserman
23-05-2005, 04:20 PM
yep i have the proper hellas with the full 10 year warrinty

best thing about them is that you know that each time you pug them it they will be working no matter what you do to them

but let me put it this way; alot or trucks are now running them as normal running light for one reson and that is alot less matinace and hence lower running costs ;D
i love mine but a $360 a set not cheap how ever there are chaeper one out there now days

bungie
23-05-2005, 04:50 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As above

megafish71
24-05-2005, 03:35 AM
Im with Basserman, best lights you can have. Do your self a favour Brett and bite the bullet and go get yourself a set of Hellas.

Ron

Custaro
24-05-2005, 04:00 AM
Robbo

The normal submersible lights are not much chop. I have just replaced mine...only 18mths old. They first started playing up about 12mths.

I went for the transom rod holder mounted lights.

Vic

Volvo
24-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Yeah mate i also have LED's but a tad early to give an honest opinion as only a recent fit for me :) ..

DR
24-05-2005, 04:56 AM
have submersibles. if you get them make sure they are not cracked where the rivets go in to hold connections. have had them for 4 years with no probs once i worked out why one died after 12 months.
the hole was a bit tight & the expanding rivet put hairline fractures in the plastic, which allowed moisture to eventually get in & cause corrosion. got a good one & have been sinking it for 4 years without problem.

will get LEDs when i can afford them.
i have a mate who uses them in illuminated signage & am trying to work out the best way to make my own as well, actual lights aren't that expensive.

PS if you get submersibles, don't buy the cheap ones. the ones i use are called 'Submers-a-lites'

gunna
24-05-2005, 10:51 AM
A while back I bought a light board from BIAS. Cost about $48 buck and its been money REALLY well spent. I was always dicking round with the trailer lights before that. They would play up after every couple trips. With the board - takes 2 minutes to hook up and 2 minutes to put in the boot at the ramp. Very good investment in my opinion.

Robbo_Townsville
24-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Some good points there fellas, thanks very much. I am not a sparky's ahole so my next question would be could I fit the LED lights myself or should I have someone at the many boat dealers do it for me?

basserman
24-05-2005, 02:43 PM
mate just like most trailer lights they are a cake to install ;D
all the wires are color coded and should just be able to swap the plug over once you run the cables through the trailer ;)

goanna1
24-05-2005, 02:48 PM
1/ get trailer lights that don't have festoon globes
2/ spray with lanoline spray after each trip
3/ get leds you will never look back

At the moment I have a set of super cheap tail lights not supposed to be submersable but with the spray ( i don't usually drown my lights but I know this set has been) the old sheep grease is magic

goanna

Robbo_Townsville
24-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Basserman are these the ones you have

db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=2132

Robbo_Townsville
24-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Whoops dont know what happened there.

Robbo_Townsville
24-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Try again
http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=2132

basserman
24-05-2005, 04:18 PM
yeh robbo thats them
i got two years ago when they pretty much first came out and got a ten year warrinty but not sure now also mine cost $320 for the set but once again may of come down in price since then ;)

Dignity
25-05-2005, 03:24 PM
The price has come down, had a catalogue in the post the other day - damned if I can find it - but they were $189 a pair. Still to dear considering the cost of LED's they should be about $40 bucks a pair.

Robbo_Townsville
25-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Bought them today for $250. Maybe I could have done better it seems. Thanks for helping me out fellas

bungie
25-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Try again
http://db.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?flcmd=preview&flmaint=2132

But to comply with QLD laws you need two white leds over your licence plate

basserman
26-05-2005, 11:05 AM
i haven't got whites over my plate only the lights them self and they do enoght of a job for the cops and RTA to be happy with it

Dignity
26-05-2005, 01:58 PM
The price has come down, had a catalogue in the post the other day - damned if I can find it - but they were $189 a pair. #Still to dear considering the cost of LED's they should be about $40 bucks a pair.

:-X :-X :-X :-X - found the catalogue - recycling bin week for us - $289 per pair so I guess you did a good deal Robbo - still think they are way to dear.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
26-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Those lights sure are good. So are the some of the submersibles. It may be worth a thought to put risers on the end of your trailer, and mount your lights at the tops. This makes it easier to see when reversing, can guide the boat on effectively against a strong current or a wind, and keeps your lights out of the water always.

Dave

Robbo_Townsville
27-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Basserman, I was hoping you were going to say that about not needing the number plate light as I haven't bothered either. The guys were I bought them from said they put out enough light without having to woory about it.

basserman
27-05-2005, 05:31 PM
yeh well lets put it this way my lights were put on to a coustom made trailer when i replaced the out rusty and it was passed over the NSW pits without a drama but as you said they do throw out enoght light to light up the number plate just that it is not white
i drive a small truck and do a fair bit of night work and it suprises me at home many cars have tail lights out or numberplate light

FLATHEAD1
27-05-2005, 09:40 PM
I just replaced my lights. I looked at the trailers parked at the local boat ramp to see what worked and what did not.

I found the best for the money are at supercheap "ARK" brand I think. They have a compressed rubber gromment in the back to seal the wire entry and a clear plastic cover that covers the lenses. Tested to 15m. Only $49.95.

Used them 6 times and so far so good. The crappy ones on the trailer from new were at Kmart for $60.00.

I don't believe you need to spend a fortune to get something that works.

Ps I have no affiliations with supercheap.

Cheers
FH1