PDA

View Full Version : Bowrider all rounder

fishyjoe
27-05-2005, 03:28 AM
[smiley=help.gif] ???

Hi, chatting with a mate of mine about the merits of a bowrider vrs centre cab as an all round boat style. I have heard that bowriders have an inherent undesirable problem of the bow riding high. As the boat he is looking for is going to be a fishing boat (primarily inshore and weather permitting some work offshore) with family day trips also big on the agenda, I am keen to seek members input and experiences in regards to this topic.
I guess he is looking at justifying the purchase of a new boat to both his wife and family while still having something that he can use to fulfil his own hedonistic desires, fishing that is!!! 8)

Jeremy
27-05-2005, 04:04 AM
I have never been able to understand the attraction of bowriders myself. Steering position is too far back and the forward seating is in the worst possible location in the boat.

However, if the family is an important consideration, it might be an option.

Will he be doing both family outings and serious fishing at the same time...I doubt it. I reckon the standard 1/4 or 1/2 cab, or centre cabin is a much better layout for either, just not at the same time.

anyway, my $0.02...

Jeremy

Fishin_Dan
27-05-2005, 08:46 AM
If the family is in the boat with him, he could get a few of them to sit up the front. And if he's out fishing, put all his gear (Esky, etc) up the front. This would make the bow not come up as high as quickly.... May help with that problem. Plus you do get a front casting platform!

But the steering is further back than alot of other layouts, so it would need to be weighed up against each other. Steering further back reduces the space in the back half of the boat.

southernson
27-05-2005, 08:58 AM
i reckon the bowriders are a great option. Mate of mine has a 5m freedom sport n its a great allrounder. Great day/cruise boat, handles offshore no worries. the front copnverts into an awseome casting platform. great ski boat as you are able to move people up the front. Center consoles are good in the respect that there is a lot of space to fish around the boat. But there isnt alot of protection and everyone is pretty much standing the whole time. As a dedicated fishing boat i reckon 1/2 cab or centre cabs are the go. But if the families on the agenda to well go the bowrider all the way.
thats my two cents
Cheers

SeaHunt
27-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Ditto Southernson, as long as you don't want to sleep in it,.

cuda
27-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi fishjoe

i have a 510 allycraft bowrider with a 90 merc on the back

first of all to all the knockers of bowriders how many of you have actually been on or fished out of 1 ?

yes they do have a weight distribution problem, i have fixed mine by doing the same as many boats do by fitting trim tabs and a hydrofoil now i have no trouble keeping the bow down

as for fishing out of i use the front area as either a casting platform or bottom bashing, we have fished 3 people out of the boat with no dramas as everyone is comfortable, hard to have someone fishing of the front of a 1/2 or cuddy cabin boat.
other advantages plenty of storage under the front seats also easy access to the anchor

as for sleeping in 1, i have slept on mine ok and i'm not a little boy being 6' and 122 kg, i can curl up comfortably on the front bow seats in fact we have had 3 people sleep on it 2 up the front and 1 across the back

fishyjoe if you are interested i can take you for a trip in it either just a run to see how they go or possible fishing out of it to see what they are like

Gary

basserman
27-05-2005, 03:53 PM
although not my cup of tea i do think they are a pretty good boat
sure not as comftable as a cuddly but just as comftable as a ceter console
i have a mate with a 560 freedom sport with a evenrude 115 set out as a fishing boat as well as a family crusieing rig
has a live bait tank, cutting table and everything else you see in a fishing boat and easly able to troll four rods for marlin and tuna or bottom bash for some reefies

we have never had a problem with the bow riding overly high and we have hardly anything up frount just goot trimming ;)
i belive that they are a great allround boat that can do alot of things well ;D

southernson
27-05-2005, 04:49 PM
nice rig there cuda. Ive seen plenty of them offshore, bar crossings etc not a problem.

fishyjoe
28-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Thankyou all for your input I will pass on all this info. It is great to have a forum like this to get honest down to earth advice, once again thanks.

Joe

cuda
28-05-2005, 03:09 PM
thanks southernson
i find it a great boat, good for the family thing and even better for fishing out of
i would almost challange anyone to go fishing in it and find a fault, sorry there is 1 that being the poles for the bimini top which stop you having clear access all around the boat if a fish decides he wants to take you all around the thing, then again any cuddy or half cabin is usually only fishable off the back

Gary