PDA

View Full Version : combo or separate

troy
29-05-2005, 11:59 AM
in my new boat i have in the package a gps sounder combo black and white hummingbird for 1395.00 fitted.
is it a better option to go combo or separate colour sounder and gps.
if i went for separate would i be up for much more costs .
thanks
troy [smiley=cowboy.gif] [smiley=cowboy.gif]

cooky
29-05-2005, 04:59 PM
troy - not sure about the "more cost" situation, but probably cheaper overall. Although I would consider a combo model, I woudl usually recommend seperates. It's like SO many things eg. digital video camera taking photos too - basically they usually compromise to do more than the intended function. Fish finder / gps might be different, but i doubt it. + if one connection stuffs up - you've rooted. eg. my gps connection for some reason (wiring) went dead, but didn;'t mean the end to fishing - still had sounder to muck around with.

aussiebasser
29-05-2005, 05:34 PM
The Humminbird combo has some great features. The one I really like, is being able to freeze the screen, then move the cursor back and mark a spot you've already passed over. Great for getting an exact spot on a drop off or deep gutter. If you want to go better, you could go up to the 97 Matrix colour.

basserman
29-05-2005, 06:01 PM
not a big fan of the combo units for bluewater fishing and as said it is a comprmise and the biggest comprmise is the screen size and that means when you getting thrown around out there your trying to read the same info and a small screen
but saying that there features should pretty much be the same
more up to each person as to how mcuh room they have and what they really want in a sounder or gps ;)

krazyfisher
30-05-2005, 03:19 AM
I have always gone for two units but this time I might go a combo lowrance have a colour combo with chart for $1400

troy
30-05-2005, 01:19 PM
cooky would you go combo if you had to replace what you have now.
as the majority of people say that the problem with combos is if something goes wrong you have nothing.
basserman has a piont also.
thanks troy

troy
30-05-2005, 01:22 PM
aussiebasser
what is the difference with the 97 matrix colour.
troy

aussiebasser
30-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Much bigger screen on the 97 so you get a larger split screen size.
Will also show fish in colour I'm told, so you can pick snapper by the red shape and black eye, cobia are sorta striped horizontally, and mackeral will show as vertical stripes. ::) ::)