PDA

View Full Version : Sounders/Fish Finders

Ballzy
02-06-2005, 06:23 AM
I know this post will cause a debate, but I am in the market for a new sounder/fish finder and would like to know everyones comments/suggestions on what they think is the best one. I have heard Koden is good, but really have no idea. Looking for value for money, but on saying that don't mind putting in the $$$$ for a good one that will find the biggins !!! ;D

Brad1m
02-06-2005, 12:32 PM
dunno ballzy ,
think hummingbird make a 3D sounder now ?
ste up 3 or 4 transducers or what ever ya call em , then unlike a standard sounder you can tell if the fish are on the left-right-front-rear of the boat.
Pretty sure i read this somewhere.

Cheers

Fishinmishin
02-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Lowrance 107cdf seems a strong player on the market now. Whenever more arrive in Aus, a couple of us will know for sure.

Manjilad
02-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Wouldn't you have to go for the best brand (ie biggest in sales, research & development, support, mapping capability, integration with GPS, Motor, home computer for up/down loading etc etc). products are getting so sophisticated now I am sure rationalisation will occur as companies can not afford the software research&development now required - and I would not want to be left with a 20% cheaper unit from a now non-existing company!!! and no future compatibility!

From My small experience Navman seems to be it!
I have a Lowrance combo with map and works well too. Maybe Lowrance no 2?
Anyone have the objective industry numbers on rankings?
Cheers

banshee
02-06-2005, 09:48 PM
G'day Ballzy,it's all relative to price,if you want a good sounder then it's going to cost.You will not find a Navman,Humminbird or Lowrance on a commercial boat.I personaly think Furuno make an excelent range of sounders,their base colour units while not cheap represent great value at aprox $1300 to $1800.You mentioned Koden,if you were to go down this road I'm sure you would also find some great units,JRC would be another brand worth looking at.

goanna1
03-06-2005, 04:35 AM
Go lowrance or furuno color. can't miss
goanna

Brad1m
04-06-2005, 04:15 AM
HEY BALLZ:
http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=13208236#description
CHECK THIS OUT , not cheap though!

Ballzy
04-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys, I think I might stick with the Koden - I seem to like it, I also do like the Furuno's but the Koden just seems to be a bit more user friendly (I think anyway). I do agree with you pay for what you get - so hopefully the Koden will do the job !!!

vertico
04-06-2005, 10:58 AM
raymarine make quality units,
i wont tell you where you can stick your navman unit :) heh they are hopeless