PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a rectifier to a 15hp 2 stroke Johnson

Brooksy
02-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Does anybody know if you can fit an aftermarket rectifier to a 15 hp johnson so you can charge a battery?

craigie
02-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Brooksy,

Sounds like a good question for Downsy ;D

I know 15 mercs can be fitted up with one ;D

Craig.

Spaniard_King
02-06-2005, 01:49 PM
It's an easy job if you already have the charge coil fitted under the flywheel, some models come without this coil. (to check this look for 3 wires that come from under the flywheel that go no-where.

then you just fit the rectifier and hook up the battery + to recifier - to engine block.

I recommend to buy the genuine rectifier as it has mounting holes already on the block to take the rectifier 8)

Garry

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-06-2005, 02:08 PM
cost me just over a hundred a few years back to have a coil & rectifier fitted by a Merc dealer to a new 15hp merc - was worth every cent - never charged a battery again

finga64
03-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Make sure that the "unit" includes a regulator. If it hasn't there is a good chance of blowing a battery up.
Fitting it the wrong way will also blow it up.
Make sure the "unit" will suit your outboard as charging coils can have 2 or 3 wires pending on the maker and model.

bubs
04-06-2005, 05:07 AM
:'( I had an after market rectifier fitted to my merc 30 seapro and ended up with a chernobyl melt down under the cowl. I would strongly suggest a genuine part.
Bubs

Brooksy
04-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Found out today that it doesn't come standard with the charge coil hence the great expense for the genuine item. Looks like I might have to try and find a second hand item.